Fw: Exhibition announcement and opening!

  • barb tetenbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2012
      Dear Friends and Colleagues,

      Attached is the official press release for my solo show opening this Thursday (4pm - 7pm) in the Hoffman Gallery at Oregon College of Art and Craft. It is the third piece in a recent investigation of reading and novels, in particular reading My Antonia by Willa Cather.

      For this installation I have painted the floor and walls of the gallery with a large interpretive map, created a National Park-like viewing platform complete with didactic information board, and old-school orienteering devices to guide you physically through the novel. The gallery is open 7 days a week from 10am til 3pm. If you can only make it in the evening, please let me know and I can arrange for the gallery to be open for you. This is a major artwork for me, and I so want as many of you to experience it as possible. Hope you can get up here! -Barb

      Barbara Tetenbaum
      September 13-October 23, 2012
      Hoffman Gallery
      8245 SW Barnes Road, Portland, OR, (971) 255-4143
      Opening reception: Thursday, September 13, 4-7 pm
      Gallery hours: 7 days a week, 10 am-3 pm

      – Text-based installation by artist Barbara Tetenbaum opens at the Hoffman Gallery on Thursday, September 13 –

      September 10, 2012 (Portland, OR) – Book arts artist and Oregon College of Art and Craft (OCAC) faculty member Barbara Tetenbaum has been exploring Willa Cather's My Ántonia through large-scale art installations since 2010. On Thursday, September 13, the third part of Tetenbaum’s investigation of this great American novel and her personal experience reading it will debut at OCAC’s Hoffman Gallery. The exhibit, which is free and open to the public, will be at the gallery through October 23.

      “Barbara’s rich investigation of My Ántonia through a variety of devices, printed text and the space of the Hoffman Gallery helps map and ignite an understanding of the novel’s remarkable story,” said OCAC President Denise Mullen. “It’s a perfect example of how art can expand our understanding of our world and even other works of art.”

      "I wanted to put myself in the position of a first-time reader and map my understanding of a novel as I listened to it on tape. I chose Cather's book almost at random. What I didn't expect was how completely obsessed I would become with the power and beauty of her writing, and her ability to use language to evoke the truth of lived experience,” said Tetenbaum. “In this new installation, I offer the visitor a chance to “see” the novel through short text prompts written on folded pages, on the gallery floor and walls, and on a carved information board mounted on a platform overlooking the gallery."

      Tetenbaum is a professor and department head of Book Arts at OCAC. She is the recipient of two Fulbright awards to teach in Leipzig, Germany and in Usti nad Labem in the Czech Republic, and has received other awards of support for her artwork and research. Tetenbaum has been printing artist books under the imprint, Triangular Press, since 1979 and her books are held in public collections in the United States, Canada, England, France, Germany and the Netherlands.