Re: Book Sale list (on dumpsterizing books)

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5 3:06 PM
      Difficult question indeed. I'll have a booth at the Los Angeles Printers Fair this year, mostly to pass on type that I'm culling from my collection but also to distribute some of the prints I've created because "I had to." How to price them? Too high and someone who really appreciates and wants a print might need to walk away. Too low and not only will my print be devalued, but it will alter the value of letterpress prints in general. Then there's the issue of whether I'm looking for "a good home" for my prints. If someone pays $30 for a print they may frame it; if they pay $5 it may get thumbtacked to the wall and then trashed when the grandkid's doodle replaces it. The question here is, do I really care what happens? If simple appreciation is the goal, then maybe I should ask potential purchasers to state in 25 words or less why they want the print, and adjust the price depending on the answer. Or perhaps I should ask them to point out five features that they especially like about the print, and if one of their answers is "I love how you kerned the W and o in `World,'" then bingo, a free print for you, madam. I suppose I'll have to look at a lot of print prices and consider the things that affect value: The rarity? The size? The paper? The number of colors? The complexity? The intellectual depth? The overall design? The typography? The presswork? The renown of the printer? Extra points if it's signed by a poet laureate. As for any undistributed prints that remain at the end of my days, I truly don't care whether they end up in the dumpster of some heir down the line. They served their purpose just getting created, and perhaps just enabling letterpress to survive for one more generation.