Re: Book Sale list (on dumpsterizing books)

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
      Joe

      In the 37 years I've been involved in the letterpress printing of books this has been a continuous refrain from book dealers. Fine press books are no longer salable, etc. Ever been to CODEX?

      I do believe though that the market has significantly changed but I suspect that is not necessarily a bad thing. And there is ample opportunity on the internet to market your wares. You just have to get it out there.

      If you don't make something that anyone else wants, well, that is your thing. Not necessarily a bad thing, unless of course, you really are hoping to make a living at it. No free lunch.

      Well, there is always Kickstarter and the like. Didn't Meg Whitman use Fundly to help fund her California gubernatorial campaign? something like $23 million. You can do it too!

      She lost by the way.

    • joe@sarabande.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
        Gerald,
        > Well, there is always Kickstarter and the like.

        We did that back in May.

        http://kck.st/KxbEw5

        Our project exceeded its goal. My primary hope--besides getting money--
        was to get new people aware of our work. Something like 52% of our
        backers were people who were new to me. We also managed to get
        software developed for use with the animation toy which we could not
        have done without the kickstarter base. In hindsight our major failing
        was that we actually shipped the promised rewards. The big projects
        seem to take a year to ship. I knew that I was doing something wrong.
        > If you don't make something that anyone else wants, well, that is
        > your thing.

        Its not just about making things that no one wants; I've always done
        that. The question is the size of the market and the price point that
        people are willing to pay.

        Best

        Joe
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
          Joe

          That's kind of a difficult question. Likely one you actually do not want
          to know the answer to. If you can hype or market your art or work as if
          it were some kind of widget or incredible collectible, well, you might
          be able to do that (though you might not like the taste in your mouth).

          Probably not though, and probably good for you in the long run. Just do
          it, like Walter Hamady said, because "you have to."

          W. A. Dwiggins probably did his greatest and most incredible work with
          his marionettes. Did he make any money doing that? Is he remembered for
          that? One book, The Dwiggins Marionettes, published belatedly, details
          this, and for years it sat unsold by the publisher. I dearly admire WAD,
          for his early illustration work (which he remorsefully abandoned) and
          his typeface design directive, but most humanly for his great passion as
          shown in that book. I was absolutely astounded when I found it,
          remaindered by the publisher after so many years.

          On 9/4/12 10:01 PM, joe@... wrote:
          > Gerald,
          >
          >> If you don't make something that anyone else wants, well, that is
          >> your thing.
          >>
          > Its not just about making things that no one wants; I've always done
          > that. The question is the size of the market and the price point that
          > people are willing to pay.
          >
          > Best
          >
          > Joe
        • Barbara Hauser
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
            Difficult question indeed. I'll have a booth at the Los Angeles Printers Fair this year, mostly to pass on type that I'm culling from my collection but also to distribute some of the prints I've created because "I had to." How to price them? Too high and someone who really appreciates and wants a print might need to walk away. Too low and not only will my print be devalued, but it will alter the value of letterpress prints in general. Then there's the issue of whether I'm looking for "a good home" for my prints. If someone pays $30 for a print they may frame it; if they pay $5 it may get thumbtacked to the wall and then trashed when the grandkid's doodle replaces it. The question here is, do I really care what happens? If simple appreciation is the goal, then maybe I should ask potential purchasers to state in 25 words or less why they want the print, and adjust the price depending on the answer. Or perhaps I should ask them to point out five features that they especially like about the print, and if one of their answers is "I love how you kerned the W and o in `World,'" then bingo, a free print for you, madam. I suppose I'll have to look at a lot of print prices and consider the things that affect value: The rarity? The size? The paper? The number of colors? The complexity? The intellectual depth? The overall design? The typography? The presswork? The renown of the printer? Extra points if it's signed by a poet laureate. As for any undistributed prints that remain at the end of my days, I truly don't care whether they end up in the dumpster of some heir down the line. They served their purpose just getting created, and perhaps just enabling letterpress to survive for one more generation.