Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Book Sale list

  • Graham and Kathy
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
      One cannot do as you suggest with the configuration of the List - everything
      goes through the moderator and there is no option of "Reply to sender" other
      than the one this email has gone to.

      Incidentally ebay gives international shipping as an option for the seller,
      but the seller has to know that to make the choice. Most of the refusals
      don't realise that and have simply not ticked the box. Generally I have
      found that there is nothing else to it such as a deliberate intention not to
      offer the goods to anyone who will bid. Such was the case this time too.

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England

      http://www.inclinepress.com

    • joe@sarabande.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
        > Sometimes you are better off just throwing the stuff in the
        > dumpster. You'd save money.

        This hurts especially since I've been thinking about doing this for
        some books that I have lots of multiple copies of (Linotype Specimen
        books from the 1990s, some books that I've published like Directory of
        Type Designers, etc.). I worry that the dealer framework isn't working
        for book dealers or users. Without a pricing framework there is just a
        rush to the bottom with books selling for a penny on Amazon. While
        this should be good for readers I think its decimated the field and
        removed any incentive for bothering to sell books. This actually
        lessens the marketplace. Why bother to sell books when its more
        profitable to throw them away?

        Its a strange time for books. I'm trying to design a new Hansel &
        Gretel book with lasercut shadow cutouts. Its meant to be read or
        projected as a shadow theatre. I've had it in the works for over a
        year and can't figure out the appropriate format. There are 5 very
        detailed laser cuts which take 21 minutes per book to cut. If I add
        letterpress type, a slipcase, and a Maglite flashlight I'll be looking
        at a cost of around $60 a piece to produce it. This turns into a very
        expensive book at retail. I'm more inclined to make just the lasercuts
        without the slipcase and letterpress to reduce the cost. I don't want
        to produce some big magnum opus. At this point I'd just like to make
        some little things that will live quietly on a shelf and not get
        dumpsterized.

        Best

        Joe
      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
          "Race to the bottom" is right. I was excited about ebay when it first came out. It seemed like the perfect way to get every object into the right hands.

          I was right, but what I couldn't see then was that, in making this so easy, it (not just ebay, but the internet in general) is causing almost everything to reach its bottom value. This is probably most distinguished in the book category. Perhaps this is because everyone perceived a book as a vehicle of knowledge, which they think can all be had online now.

          Sad, but I am hardly motivated to try and sell a book anymore. It's got to be pretty remarkable and rare to be worth considering the 15 minutes it will take to pack and ship it.

          So, us book lovers should welcome the eventual pole shift or solar flares or whatever it is that's going to knock out the internet for a while. We may lose our vehicle for selling, but at least the values may eventually start going up again.

          --Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
            Joe

            In the 37 years I've been involved in the letterpress printing of books this has been a continuous refrain from book dealers. Fine press books are no longer salable, etc. Ever been to CODEX?

            I do believe though that the market has significantly changed but I suspect that is not necessarily a bad thing. And there is ample opportunity on the internet to market your wares. You just have to get it out there.

            If you don't make something that anyone else wants, well, that is your thing. Not necessarily a bad thing, unless of course, you really are hoping to make a living at it. No free lunch.

            Well, there is always Kickstarter and the like. Didn't Meg Whitman use Fundly to help fund her California gubernatorial campaign? something like $23 million. You can do it too!

            She lost by the way.

          • joe@sarabande.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
              Gerald,
              > Well, there is always Kickstarter and the like.

              We did that back in May.

              http://kck.st/KxbEw5

              Our project exceeded its goal. My primary hope--besides getting money--
              was to get new people aware of our work. Something like 52% of our
              backers were people who were new to me. We also managed to get
              software developed for use with the animation toy which we could not
              have done without the kickstarter base. In hindsight our major failing
              was that we actually shipped the promised rewards. The big projects
              seem to take a year to ship. I knew that I was doing something wrong.
              > If you don't make something that anyone else wants, well, that is
              > your thing.

              Its not just about making things that no one wants; I've always done
              that. The question is the size of the market and the price point that
              people are willing to pay.

              Best

              Joe
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
                Joe

                That's kind of a difficult question. Likely one you actually do not want
                to know the answer to. If you can hype or market your art or work as if
                it were some kind of widget or incredible collectible, well, you might
                be able to do that (though you might not like the taste in your mouth).

                Probably not though, and probably good for you in the long run. Just do
                it, like Walter Hamady said, because "you have to."

                W. A. Dwiggins probably did his greatest and most incredible work with
                his marionettes. Did he make any money doing that? Is he remembered for
                that? One book, The Dwiggins Marionettes, published belatedly, details
                this, and for years it sat unsold by the publisher. I dearly admire WAD,
                for his early illustration work (which he remorsefully abandoned) and
                his typeface design directive, but most humanly for his great passion as
                shown in that book. I was absolutely astounded when I found it,
                remaindered by the publisher after so many years.

                On 9/4/12 10:01 PM, joe@... wrote:
                > Gerald,
                >
                >> If you don't make something that anyone else wants, well, that is
                >> your thing.
                >>
                > Its not just about making things that no one wants; I've always done
                > that. The question is the size of the market and the price point that
                > people are willing to pay.
                >
                > Best
                >
                > Joe
              • Barbara Hauser
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2012
                  Difficult question indeed. I'll have a booth at the Los Angeles Printers Fair this year, mostly to pass on type that I'm culling from my collection but also to distribute some of the prints I've created because "I had to." How to price them? Too high and someone who really appreciates and wants a print might need to walk away. Too low and not only will my print be devalued, but it will alter the value of letterpress prints in general. Then there's the issue of whether I'm looking for "a good home" for my prints. If someone pays $30 for a print they may frame it; if they pay $5 it may get thumbtacked to the wall and then trashed when the grandkid's doodle replaces it. The question here is, do I really care what happens? If simple appreciation is the goal, then maybe I should ask potential purchasers to state in 25 words or less why they want the print, and adjust the price depending on the answer. Or perhaps I should ask them to point out five features that they especially like about the print, and if one of their answers is "I love how you kerned the W and o in `World,'" then bingo, a free print for you, madam. I suppose I'll have to look at a lot of print prices and consider the things that affect value: The rarity? The size? The paper? The number of colors? The complexity? The intellectual depth? The overall design? The typography? The presswork? The renown of the printer? Extra points if it's signed by a poet laureate. As for any undistributed prints that remain at the end of my days, I truly don't care whether they end up in the dumpster of some heir down the line. They served their purpose just getting created, and perhaps just enabling letterpress to survive for one more generation.