Re: [PPLetterpress] new to letterpress and photopolymer

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003
      Lisa: Gerald's advice about David Rose's article is a very good one. It's
      one of the most thorough and informative articles on general letterpress
      that you may find.

      As to your question about bases, I would just point out that a few weeks ago
      on this list (or possibly letpress, there was a discussion about guides, and
      there was a posting by someone else working with a Kelsey with a Boxcar
      base, which filled her entire chase. This mean she could not use paper
      guides on the platen, as they would be smashed by the base. She instead used
      thin sheets of cardboard, I believe. I can't recall her exact solution, but
      I remember that she was frustrated and the solution was marginal at best.

      Another consideration is that if you are having trouble getting a good
      impression over the entire field of your press (You can check this by
      setting type, if you have it, that you know to be type high and setting a
      few lines that go close to all the way across your chase), then I don't
      think switching to polymer plates will help. You should try to solve that
      problem first, if possible. If you do solve it, let me know. I have a Kelsey
      that I use when I have to do demonstrations on the road, and invariably it
      misbehaves by not printing on one side, despite all my adjustments. I get it
      home, and voila, it's fine. Guess it doesn't like to travel... Others have
      said that Kelsey's are a piece of blankity blank (insert unprintable four
      letter word) but I won't go that far. They serve a purpose, at least for me,
      even though it's frustrating during a demo to have to explain why it's not
      printing (especially tricky, since I don't KNOW...)

      Anyway, as to the problem of the polymer base filling your chase, leaving no
      room for paper guides: there is a general caution about using wood bases
      with photopolymer plates, but if you are doing small runs on a Kelsey, and
      need bases that are smaller than the commercial ones, I would try wood. I
      have a cabinetmaker who makes me wood bases of various sizes the same
      thickness as my Boxcar base. I use these for small cuts, or when I too need
      more flexibility with my paper guides that the Boxcar base won't give me. I
      have had good success with them, even though they are not as precise as the
      base, and require a bit of makeready.

      Katie Harper

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003
        If you decide that small bases are what you need, I forgot to mention that
        Harold Kyle of Boxcar Press can also make small aluminum bases (without the
        grid) in just about any size. These would likely be far superior to wood.