Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Polimero A-5 replacement bulbs

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2012
      Hi Ian

      I would try to stay with the original specs re the light bulbs. I run TLK 40W/10-R UVA (made by Light Emission Technologies) on my A&V Orbital. Takes a good long time to run them down. Whatever bulb you use you can get them in bulk at good pricing from Atlanta Light Bulbs (there is a link to them on site). Stay away from back exposing, you are just adding another variable to the equation.

      Rather than buy another used machine why not just upgrade what you have? new bulbs all around, new brush, new ballasts. That should pretty much take care of the major issues regarding exposure and washout. Best ballasts are Rocket 5s. They are fairly inexpensive. Holy Grail according to A&V. Not had any problems with them. Best to replace all though especially if they are old. Rocket 5s feed two bulbs at once so some rewiring might be in order.

      If you have a dirty floor that could be a combo problem of exposure and washout being out of sync. Best solution. Get your exposure to spec with the Gray Scale then slowly increase the washout time until the floor is clean and the relief is not undercutting. Should be smooth sailing, day after day after day, once these are in sync.

      On 7/19/12 6:00 PM, Ian Bristow wrote:
      I managed to get the original bulb type which is Philips TL8W/05 67 Made in Holland. I tried to replace the bulb with a Hitachi F8T5 8 watt bulb.
      While the exposure seems to work there is an issue with cleaning all of the polymer (not a clean floor) perhaps these KF 95's do not need the back exposure
      after all?? with the original bulbs I have been back exposing and then exposing according to boxcars instructions. Maybe the newer bulbs are more powerful thus causing
      this problem to occur. I will test a strip tomorrow without back exposure.

      On another note I maybe looking at upgrading the machine. Does anyone know of anywhere to buy a reasonably priced platemaker. I do not have any contracts with apple
      or anything like that so something used or refurbished would be great.

      Thanks again for all of the advice so far!!