Polimero A-5 replacement bulbs

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2012
      Hey everyone, I'm looking for the correct phillips 8watt replacement bulbs for an old Polimero A-5 I tried a Hitachi 8 watt black light that fits the machine but had issues with the back exposure on the KF-95's

      any help would be appreciated

      Cheers

      Ian
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2012
        Ian

        You might be able to find a manual online which would indicate the
        correct bulb.

        Not sure why you are attempting to back expose KF95s. They don't need
        this; they are back exposured during their manufacture, most sheet
        photopolymer is.

        Gerald

        On 7/17/12 3:55 PM, Ian wrote:
        > Hey everyone, I'm looking for the correct phillips 8watt replacement bulbs for an old Polimero A-5 I tried a Hitachi 8 watt black light that fits the machine but had issues with the back exposure on the KF-95's
        >
        > any help would be appreciated
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Ian

      • Ian Bristow
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 18, 2012
          Hi Gerald/Rick

          I was told by boxcar way back to back expose these for 25 seconds to harden the back. I was usually ordering the 94 FL but they ran out so I had to get these.
          It is strange that on the data sheet there is no mention of back exposing? I'll have to test one out later. As for the manual for the machine I am having a hard time tracking
          one down. It is very old and I think the company has been out of business for quite a while. I will try out the Sylvania bulbs as recommended by Rick. The replacement
          I was trying to use was only 8 watt and these are 25 watts.

          Thanks for the info!

          Cheers
          Ian
        • Eric
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 18, 2012
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Ian Bristow <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

            >. . . As for the manual for the machine I am having a hard time tracking
            > one down.

            Download
            INSTALLATION INSTRUCT#4A0B2.pdf
            from
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PPLetterpress/files/%20%20Reference%20materials/

            It isn't much, nothing about the bulbs, but it is the only technical sheet I have ever seen for the Polimero.
            --Eric Holub, SF
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2012
              Rick

              You might check the archives here. There might be something.

              In regard to the back exposure. I think this is a workaround proffered for the KF152, not the KF94. The KF152 is a bit soft for its thickness I guess. Not sure why it is even offered for letterpress applications.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Ian Bristow <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

              > Hi Gerald/Rick
              >
              > I was told by boxcar way back to back expose these for 25 seconds to harden the back. I was usually ordering the 94 FL but they ran out so I had to get these.
              > It is strange that on the data sheet there is no mention of back exposing? I'll have to test one out later. As for the manual for the machine I am having a hard time tracking
              > one down. It is very old and I think the company has been out of business for quite a while. I will try out the Sylvania bulbs as recommended by Rick. The replacement
              > I was trying to use was only 8 watt and these are 25 watts.
              >

              > Thanks for the info!
              >
              > Cheers
              > Ian

            • Ian Bristow
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2012
                I managed to get the original bulb type which is Philips TL8W/05 67 Made in Holland. I tried to replace the bulb with a Hitachi F8T5 8 watt bulb.
                While the exposure seems to work there is an issue with cleaning all of the polymer (not a clean floor) perhaps these KF 95's do not need the back exposure
                after all?? with the original bulbs I have been back exposing and then exposing according to boxcars instructions. Maybe the newer bulbs are more powerful thus causing
                this problem to occur. I will test a strip tomorrow without back exposure.

                On another note I maybe looking at upgrading the machine. Does anyone know of anywhere to buy a reasonably priced platemaker. I do not have any contracts with apple
                or anything like that so something used or refurbished would be great.

                Thanks again for all of the advice so far!!
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 19, 2012
                  Hi Ian

                  I would try to stay with the original specs re the light bulbs. I run TLK 40W/10-R UVA (made by Light Emission Technologies) on my A&V Orbital. Takes a good long time to run them down. Whatever bulb you use you can get them in bulk at good pricing from Atlanta Light Bulbs (there is a link to them on site). Stay away from back exposing, you are just adding another variable to the equation.

                  Rather than buy another used machine why not just upgrade what you have? new bulbs all around, new brush, new ballasts. That should pretty much take care of the major issues regarding exposure and washout. Best ballasts are Rocket 5s. They are fairly inexpensive. Holy Grail according to A&V. Not had any problems with them. Best to replace all though especially if they are old. Rocket 5s feed two bulbs at once so some rewiring might be in order.

                  If you have a dirty floor that could be a combo problem of exposure and washout being out of sync. Best solution. Get your exposure to spec with the Gray Scale then slowly increase the washout time until the floor is clean and the relief is not undercutting. Should be smooth sailing, day after day after day, once these are in sync.