Re: Chase Base

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10 8:00 AM
      Now there are three different companies selling "Chase Bases".
      Each will need to be identified by manufacturer in future reference, assuming nobody has actually trademarked the name, or the lawyers will taking everybody's profits.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Peter Bruce
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10 4:26 PM
        Yes that price comparison looks right. Obviously that's the cost to make these. I posted a link on the suppliers list for the plate making for Lyme Bay - you could do the same.

        Good luck with this anyway!

        PJay

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13 3:29 AM
          Eric

          Yeah, this is extraordinarily odd. Three of them suddenly! I assume no one has trademarked anything, then again, not that knowledgeable about UK law.

          One thing for sure, there is no valid patent on that type of flat base. Similar ad hoc bases have been made for many, many years.

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

          > Now there are three different companies selling "Chase Bases".
          > Each will need to be identified by manufacturer in future reference, assuming nobody has actually trademarked the name, or the lawyers will taking everybody's profits.
          > --Eric Holub, SF

        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 13 8:54 AM
            It was 12 years ago that I thought I invented a new system of bases, and optimistically printed "Patent pending" on the top of the Boxcar Base. But shortly thereafter I realized that (in addition to whatever ad hoc systems were previously used) BASF had been selling a very similar system for decades. It actually comforted me to know that adhesive-on-gridded-aluminum was an established solution to mounting plates. Also, that I wouldn't have to pay a lawyer to actually patent the base. Money was in very short supply, as I was learning the hard way that not all aluminum alloys or all machinists could manufacture these to the required tolerances.

            I eventually removed the "Patent pending" boast from the surface. Trademarks are another matter and I'm happy that no other manufacturer has coined their base a "Boxcar Base." :)

            Thanks
            Harold

            --
            Boxcar Press
            509 W. Fayette St. #135

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 16 7:21 PM
              As far as I can tell the only other significant alternative flatbase, the Patmag, which Patrick Reagh brought out in 1990/1991 ?, could have been patented, though I doubt it was. The name was registered, though not trademarked. I believe these are still available.

              Gerald