Re: Script typefaces

  • Norman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
      I have just posted an album of photos of two script typefaces held by Philoxenia Press: the first three photos are 42 point Marina Script; this was a slightly heavier version of Palace Script (also held by the Press in 30 & 42 point). I believe it was intended for use in a similar manner as Commercial Script for ATF. The last photo shows 60 point Commercial Script from ATF.

      The Stephenson Blake faces have interlocking bodies & spacing material & the ATF face has beveled sholders to allow for the angeled sorts to be cast on a straight body & still prevent interference with the kerned sorts.

      The Press also has a large showing of Lydian Cursive (not shown here) in all sizes; this face was cast on a rather curved body with spacing to match. I will post photos of it if there is interest.

      Norman McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      http://ephimeros.tumblr.com
    • Austin Jones
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
        Gerald,

        I have a few founts of the mentioned faces. As I recall, they are not on angled bodies, but rather straight bodies with kerned and angled heads. I also have a couple other faces on angled bodies.

        It is an interesting study on how these characters fit and interact. Both the straight bodies as well as the angled bodies.

        If I can have a bit more specific thought as to what he wants to see, perhaps I could photograph the type as well as the result (an inked proof of the type on paper).

        P.S.
        At the moment – I am without power in the house, shop, and everything. The storm of last Friday, is keeping us in the dark and hot. So, it will be a few days before I could do any such work.

        tks

        Austin Jones
        austin@...

        Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 1:10 PM
        Subject: [PPLetterpress] Script typefaces

        An acquaintance, type designer Paul Shaw, is preparing a book on script typefaces and is looking for photos of the actual metal fittings of Palace Script, Typo Upright, Carpenter Script, and Centennial Script. He is interested in seeing how the angled bodies fit together and how different kerning strategies would have worked. Anybody still have any of these?

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
          Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your enthusiasm.

          Gerald
        • Paul Shaw
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
            not sure what privileges my email status grants me. I think I am allowed to receive email but not to post.
            Paul

            [p.s. I have also avoided Facebook—so far; and only tweet about once every six months.]
            On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

            Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your enthusiasm.

            Gerald

            Paul Shaw

            Blue Pencil
            Legacy of Letters
            Paul Shaw / Letter Design

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 7, 2012
              Paul

              Looks like you are able to post. Welcome to the old web.

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shaw <paulshaw@...> wrote:

              > not sure what privileges my email status grants me. I think I am
              > allowed to receive email but not to post.
              > Paul
              >
              > [p.s. I have also avoided Facebook—so far; and only tweet about once
              > every six months.]
              > On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
              >
              > > Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will
              > > reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this
              > > became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your
              > > enthusiasm.
              > >
              > > Gerald
              > >

              > Paul Shaw
              > paulshaw@...
              > www.paulshawletterdesign.com/
              >
              > Blue Pencil
              > Legacy of Letters
              > Paul Shaw / Letter Design

            • Armina Ghazaryan \ form apparatus
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2012
                Gerald,

                At the following link you can find the pictures of script face, 48pt Anglaise with twisted body:

                These are from the MIAT Ghent type collection from Belgium (miat.gent.be).

                Kind regards,

                Armina Ghazaryan \ Graphic designer \ Form Apparatus
                m +32 (0)486975979 \ www.formapparatus.com
                blog \ typeandpress.formapparatus.com

              • Paul Shaw
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Guess so.
                  Paul
                  On Jul 7, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                  Paul

                  Looks like you are able to post. Welcome to the old web.

                  Gerald

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shaw <paulshaw@...> wrote:

                  > not sure what privileges my email status grants me. I think I am
                  > allowed to receive email but not to post.
                  > Paul
                  >
                  > [p.s. I have also avoided Facebook—so far; and only tweet about once
                  > every six months.]
                  > On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will
                  > > reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this
                  > > became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your
                  > > enthusiasm.
                  > >
                  > > Gerald
                  > >

                  > Paul Shaw
                  > paulshaw@...