RE: [PPLetterpress] Script typefaces

  • Norman McKnight
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012

      Gerald: I have Palace & Marina Script from Stephenson Blake; they are cast on hand-dressed interlocking angle bodies. They also come

      with interlocking spacing material. I will photograph them today & send them to you & post them in an album if PPL has such. I also

      have Commercial Script from ATF which is cast angled on straight bodies with spacing material with rounded shoulders to accommodate

      the overhang from the angled script. I will photograph that as well.

      Norman McKnight

      Philoxenia Press

      Berkeley

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
        I have just posted an album of photos of two script typefaces held by Philoxenia Press: the first three photos are 42 point Marina Script; this was a slightly heavier version of Palace Script (also held by the Press in 30 & 42 point). I believe it was intended for use in a similar manner as Commercial Script for ATF. The last photo shows 60 point Commercial Script from ATF.

        The Stephenson Blake faces have interlocking bodies & spacing material & the ATF face has beveled sholders to allow for the angeled sorts to be cast on a straight body & still prevent interference with the kerned sorts.

        The Press also has a large showing of Lydian Cursive (not shown here) in all sizes; this face was cast on a rather curved body with spacing to match. I will post photos of it if there is interest.

        Norman McKnight
        Philoxenia Press
        http://ephimeros.tumblr.com
      • Austin Jones
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
          Gerald,

          I have a few founts of the mentioned faces. As I recall, they are not on angled bodies, but rather straight bodies with kerned and angled heads. I also have a couple other faces on angled bodies.

          It is an interesting study on how these characters fit and interact. Both the straight bodies as well as the angled bodies.

          If I can have a bit more specific thought as to what he wants to see, perhaps I could photograph the type as well as the result (an inked proof of the type on paper).

          P.S.
          At the moment – I am without power in the house, shop, and everything. The storm of last Friday, is keeping us in the dark and hot. So, it will be a few days before I could do any such work.

          tks

          Austin Jones
          austin@...

          Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 1:10 PM

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
            Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your enthusiasm.

            Gerald
          • Paul Shaw
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2012
              not sure what privileges my email status grants me. I think I am allowed to receive email but not to post.
              Paul

              [p.s. I have also avoided Facebook—so far; and only tweet about once every six months.]
              On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

              Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your enthusiasm.

              Gerald

              Paul Shaw

              Blue Pencil
              Legacy of Letters
              Paul Shaw / Letter Design

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2012
                Paul

                Looks like you are able to post. Welcome to the old web.

                Gerald

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shaw <paulshaw@...> wrote:

                > not sure what privileges my email status grants me. I think I am
                > allowed to receive email but not to post.
                > Paul
                >
                > [p.s. I have also avoided Facebook—so far; and only tweet about once
                > every six months.]
                > On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will
                > > reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this
                > > became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your
                > > enthusiasm.
                > >
                > > Gerald
                > >

                > Paul Shaw
                > paulshaw@...
                > www.paulshawletterdesign.com/
                >
                > Blue Pencil
                > Legacy of Letters
                > Paul Shaw / Letter Design

              • Armina Ghazaryan \ form apparatus
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Gerald,

                  At the following link you can find the pictures of script face, 48pt Anglaise with twisted body:

                  These are from the MIAT Ghent type collection from Belgium (miat.gent.be).

                  Kind regards,

                  Armina Ghazaryan \ Graphic designer \ Form Apparatus
                  m +32 (0)486975979 \ www.formapparatus.com
                  blog \ typeandpress.formapparatus.com

                • Paul Shaw
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2012
                    Guess so.
                    Paul
                    On Jul 7, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                    Paul

                    Looks like you are able to post. Welcome to the old web.

                    Gerald

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Paul Shaw <paulshaw@...> wrote:

                    > not sure what privileges my email status grants me. I think I am
                    > allowed to receive email but not to post.
                    > Paul
                    >
                    > [p.s. I have also avoided Facebook—so far; and only tweet about once
                    > every six months.]
                    > On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:55 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks all. I have convinced Paul to come over to PPL and he will
                    > > reply to the posts directly. I had put this up elsewhere so this
                    > > became a bit way too much for me to handle. Thanks for your
                    > > enthusiasm.
                    > >
                    > > Gerald
                    > >

                    > Paul Shaw
                    > paulshaw@...