Fw: Space available in these two summer workshops at OCAC

  • barb tetenbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2012
      Dear friends and colleagues,

      There is space available in these exciting and intensive 5-day workshops, both taught by leaders in their disciplines. Cancellation deadlines are approaching....If you are interested but can't afford to
      take it, look on our website for the 'Community Workshop Scholarship' and consider applying. Please pass this along to anyone you think may be
      interested! - Barb Tetenbaum, Dept. Head, Book Arts, OCAC
      5-DAY WORKSHOP | AN HISTORIC BOOK BINDING
      Codex C: Creating a 6th  Century Coptic Binding
      JULIA MILLER, INSTRUCTOR
      JULY 23 - 27 | MON-FRI 9:00AM-4:00PM TUITION: $405; STUDIO
      FEE: $45

      This workshop will allow you to create a full-size model of
      Codex C, a Coptic codex found near Sakkara in Egypt around 1924. We will make papyrus boards, fold and trim paper as a substitute for the original parchment text, sew the textblock, create simple endbands, line the spine with coarse linen, create the full leather binding, and make the wrapping band and bookmark. We will shape a spatulate bone slip from a length of cow bone. For those that wish, ink decoration can be added to the text edges. Then a plaquette of leather on board will be used to practice tooling and ink interlace design before adding these decorative elements to the leather binding. The Codex will be finished by attaching the wrapping band, bone slip, and bookmark. Participants will have the option to leave one side of their binding ‘open’ so the back of the
      textblock, the sewing, endbanding, and linen lining can be
      seen. Prerequisite: Basic binding skills are required to make this model including some experience with sewing a text block.
      TO REGISTER VISIT WWW.OCAC.EDU/REGISTER OR CALL
      971.255.4205

      SIMPLE BOOKS ON THE VANDERCOOK The Letterpress Artist
      SARAH BRYANT, INSTRUCTOR

      JULY 30 - AUG 3 | MON-FRI 9:00AM-4:00PM TUITION: $380;
      STUDIO FEE: $35
      In this course we explore methods of producing artist books on the Vandercook Press. We begin by learning simple book structures and investigating how structure can influence or enhance the content of books. Students experiment with pressure printing, hand inking, blind stamping and linoleum cuts. We will combine these techniques with hand-set type to create simple, editioned book projects. Learning new
      techniques and experimenting in an open and fun environment is a great way to get substantial ideas brewing for new projects. While we’ll be focused primarily on producing books for this class, students are encouraged to bring larger projects of their own for discussion as a group.

      Prerequisite: Some printing and/or binding experience is preferred.
      TO REGISTER VISIT WWW.OCAC.EDU/REGISTER