[PPLetterpress] J. Ben Lieberman Lecture Russell Maret

    Message 1 of 4 , May 18 7:49 AM
      Here's the scoop from the Newberry...

      Best to all!

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Paul Gehl <gehlp@...>
      > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: FWD: J. Ben Lieberman Lecture Russell Maret
      > Date: 18 May 2012 8:58:15 AM CDT
      > To: Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...>
      >
      > Hi, Peter.
      >
      > I checked. It will almost surely be audio-taped and available in a few weeks time for blogcasting from our website. It may also be video-taped, but we do not have a firm commitment for that yet. Russell and I will also appear live on Rick Kogan's Sunday morning radio show the next day -- but that will be at 6:30 a.m. or something equally listener unfriendly.
      >
      > BTW, a friend of mine was on an Art Institute-led tour of public art and reported that Kate's "Reading the Landscape" was included. He said that he work was eloquent (and that the docent was not).
      >
      > Paul
      >

      > Paul Gehl wrote:
      >> Good question. I will have to look it up and will let you know.
      >>
      >> Paul F. Gehl
      >> Custodian of the John M. Wing Foundation
      >> on the History of Printing
      >> The Newberry Library
      >> 60 w. Walton St.
      >> Chicago, IL 60610 USA
      >>

      >> Peter Fraterdeus wrote:
      >>> Perhaps Paul Gehl, Curator of the Wing Collection at the Newberry would know whether these lectures are recorded, or available online?
      >>>
      >>> Paul? I will forward your answer to the list.
      >>>
      >>> I'm very pleased that I'm scheduled to be in Chicago area that weekend, and will try to get to the lecture!
      >>> In fact, I've been doing some type design for letterpress myself lately, and will be very interested to hear what Russell has to say.
      >>>
      >>> Thanks!
      >>>
      >>> Peter
      >>>
      >>> Peter Fraterdeus
      >>> Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      >>> http://slowprint.com/
      >>> tweet: @slowprint
      >>>
      >>> IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      >>> Communication Strategy
      >>> Semiotx.com @ideaswords
      >>>
      >>> In memory of my dear sister Kate Friedman
      >>> Her amazing art — http://katefriedman.com

    • Barbara Hauser
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18 11:31 AM
        Thanks, Peter. I will keep an eye on the Newberry site. I hope they do video tape it. Hard to imagine a printing talk without visuals. :-)

        Barbara

        Message 3 of 4 , May 24 2:15 AM
          Hi Barbara

          I attended a slide show presentation by Walter Hamady (Perishable Press, Ltd) once where all that he had up was the screen and no slides (purposefully). It was amazing. Everyone was mesmerized by that blank screen. Memorable. In the fine press printing world no one was (is) as entertaining as Walter.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 24 2:20 AM
            I should add to this, very, very few could ever quite match or surpass Walter's presswork.