FWD: J. Ben Lieberman Lecture Russell Maret

    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2012
      We are pleased to announce again that the Lieberman Lecture for 2012 will be given by type designer and letterpress printer Russell Maret on June 2 at 11:00 a.m. in Chicago at the Newberry Library in Ruggles Hall at 60 W. Walton Street.

      The annual Lieberman Lecture commemorates J. Ben Lieberman (1914–1984), founder and first president of the American Printing History Association. The lecture is a moveable feast, given at a different institution each year, by a figure distinguished in the history of printing or the book arts. Past speakers include John Bidwell, Betsy Davids, Jack Stauffacher, Johanna Drucker, John Randle, and Claire Van Vliet.

      The title of the lecture is Time, Technology, and the Shapes of Letters. In this lecture, Russell Maret will discuss his recent attempts to apply digital drafting technology to Industrial-era manufacturing processes to create new, historically inspired typefaces for letterpress printing. He will touch on the relationship of letter design to art historical periods, the rapid technological change of the twentieth century and its impact on letterpress typography, and his own efforts to create typefaces based on pre-typographic letterforms. Through these assorted lenses, Russell will sketch a proposal for the twenty-first century private press based on the development of new, proprietary type designs.

      Russell Maret is a type designer and private press printer working in New York City. He is the current North American Chair of the Fine Press Book Association. In 2009 he was awarded the Rome Prize in Design from the American Academy in Rome to study classical vernacular lettering. His books and manuscripts are collected by many of the world's great libraries, including the Library of Congress, the Newberry Library, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and the Bodleian.

      A very thorough set of driving instructions is on the Newberry web site:
      http://www.newberry.org/directions
    • Barbara Hauser
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17, 2012
        Hi Gerald,

        Thanks for this too-tantalizing notice. Being that the fine printing community is so small, is there any chance that lectures like this can be made available online? I would be happy to pay for a link. (A while back the Ladies of Letterpress offered audio files of one of their conferences for $2.)

        I wrote to the programs chair of -- oh, I forget now -- probably the Fine Press Book Association and asked this question, but never heard back. Perhaps someone with more influence can inquire?

        Thanks,

        Barbara

        Message 3 of 4 , May 17, 2012
          Perhaps Paul Gehl, Curator of the Wing Collection at the Newberry would know whether these lectures are recorded, or available online?

          Paul? I will forward your answer to the list.

          I'm very pleased that I'm scheduled to be in Chicago area that weekend, and will try to get to the lecture!
          In fact, I've been doing some type design for letterpress myself lately, and will be very interested to hear what Russell has to say.

          Thanks!

          Peter

          Peter Fraterdeus
          Exquisite letterpress takes time™
          http://slowprint.com/
          tweet: @slowprint

          IdeasWords : Idea Swords
          Communication Strategy
          Semiotx.com @ideaswords

          In memory of my dear sister Kate Friedman
          Her amazing art — http://katefriedman.com

          Message 4 of 4 , May 17, 2012
            Hi Barbara

            This was sent at the request of Kitty Maryatt. I otherwise don't have a
            connection at APHA except for being a founding member.

            There are folks here though that are higher ups in the org and will
            likely contact you.

            Gerald