Celebrating Letterpress at CCSF, Open House and Roundtable Discussion May 5

  • grendl
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24 11:31 AM
      (apologies for cross-posting!)

      CELEBRATING LETTERPRESS AT CITY COLLEGE: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE

      Saturday, May 5, 2012
      CCSF Mission Campus

      1125 Valencia Street
      Open House (Room 207): 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
      Roundtable Discussion (Room 109): 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
      Free and open to the public • Light refreshments served

      CCSF Letterpress Club is hosting an open house and roundtable discussion commemorating the history of letterpress printing at City College.

      Graphic Communications Department Chair Smiley Curtis and Letterpress Club President Ramón de Santiago will guide the discussion. Panelists Ralph Bauer, Alan Dye, Suzanne Korey, Lorraine Leber, Grendl Löfkvist, Bob Pinetti, and Kathy Walkup are all former or current CCSF instructors or students who have been involved with the letterpress program over the years.

      The roundtable discussion will trace the history and evolution of letterpress at CCSF from its beginnings as a vocational program for tradespeople to meet the demands of business and industry, through the dark ages when the linotype was hauled off and the letterpress equipment was gathering dust, to the book arts revival of the late 1990s and the state of CCSF letterpress today as we look to the future. We will address the need to preserve the equipment and the program as we go forward in this digital age.

      Please feel free to email me off-list with any questions.

      Thank you,
      Grendl Löfkvist
      Instructor
      Graphic Communications, CCSF

      grendl_lofkvist@...

    • Lee Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24 11:46 AM
        Please tell what city and state 1125 Valencia Street is in.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24 8:54 PM
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lee Smith <lcsmith@...> wrote:

          > Please tell what city and state 1125 Valencia Street is in.

          CCSF is San Francisco City College. San Francisco is in California.

          --Eric Holub, SF