Re: Accuset setup

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16 8:30 AM
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Mª Dolores Jiménez Mondragón <doloresj3@...> wrote:

      > Thank you Gerald, I know it, but I don't know if the imagesetter, with the
      > RIP setup for right reading (image is filmed as it is sended to the RIP),
      > is going to film RREU... I think that it depends on the way film is loaded,
      > may be?,

      Film in an imagesetter is always exposed to the emulsion. And the terminolgy used is either RR-E up or RR-E down (thinking of "wrong-reading" is just confusing the issues). The change in orientation is done in the software, not in the cassette. You should understand that most negative imageseting has been for offset lithographic printing in which the plate does not contact the stock directly; it transfers to a blanket first, so there is a reversal of the image, then another reversal as it transfers to the stock. Letterpress is a direct printing process; the plate is in direct contact with the stock. Now think of the stock and the film as having the same emulsion orientation, right-reading, up. The plate reads backwards but the film and stock read forwards.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • matthew lamoureux
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16 5:56 PM
        As stated, the film will only load properly one way. If you try to load it backwards it I'll not unwind through the imagesetter properly. The exposure from the laser is made on the emulsion side of the film. Your RIP will require the imagesetter to be set a certain way from its console to work properly. The Avantra 30 I used had to be set to RREU and positive exposure for the setting from the RIP (Rampage) to produce RRED negatives for offset.