Re: [PPLetterpress] Accuset setup

  • matthew lamoureux
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2012
      Yes you want negatives, what setting you use all depends on how the front end or imagesetter is configured. Peter is right as well, I just couldn't recall it earlier but knew it didn't sound right. It is RRED and RREU, this is how film is referred to. RREU and WRED are the same setting and can cause an expensive confusion. For this reason emulsion is always referred to when Right Reading the film.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 15, 2012
        Lola

        If you are preparing film negatives for photopolymer plates, you need to have the negs RREU. Right Reading Emulsion Side Up. The neg should read correctly on the dull (emulsion) side.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "tinglado_letterpress" <doloresj3@...> wrote:

        > Dear list members,
        >
        > I would like to film several jobs (my first try) with an old Accuset (a lovely present from a friend), and I don't know exactly how to setup the job.
        >
        > I want to process photopolymer for letterpress, so I would like to get WRED (wrong reading emulsion down) negatives (am I right), but:
        >
        > What is the best way to obtain them?
        >
        > I design art with my favorite app (Ilustrator, Gimp, InkScape, ...). Obtain a 2.0 PS file. This file is right reading positive.
        >
        > But, what is better?
        >
        > 1) Configure accuset for printing Wrong Reading and Negative or
        >
        > 2) Send job from print setup dialog with Wrong reading / negative options selected.
        >
        > Thank you in advance an regards,
        >
        > Lola

      • Mª Dolores Jiménez Mondragón
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2012

          Thank you Gerald, I know it, but I don't know if the imagesetter, with the RIP setup for right reading (image is filmed as it is sended to the RIP), is going to film RREU... I think that it depends on the way film is loaded, may be?, or the way the film is procesed in the imagesetter insides...

          Thank you again,

          Lola

          El 16/04/2012 05:43, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...> escribió:

          Lola

          If you are preparing film negatives for photopolymer plates, you need to have the negs RREU. Right Reading Emulsion Side Up. The neg should read correctly on the dull (emulsion) side.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "tinglado_letterpress" <doloresj3@...> wrote:

          > Dear list members,
          >
          > I would like to film several jobs (my first try) with an old Accuset (a lovely present from a friend), and I don't know exactly how to setup the job.
          >
          > I want to process photopolymer for letterpress, so I would like to get WRED (wrong reading emulsion down) negatives (am I right), but:
          >
          > What is the best way to obtain them?
          >
          > I design art with my favorite app (Ilustrator, Gimp, InkScape, ...). Obtain a 2.0 PS file. This file is right reading positive.
          >
          > But, what is better?
          >
          > 1) Configure accuset for printing Wrong Reading and Negative or
          >
          > 2) Send job from print setup dialog with Wrong reading / negative options selected.
          >
          > Thank you in advance an regards,
          >
          > Lola

        • Red Oak Press
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2012
            I;m running an Accuset 1000 plus with an Agfa Viper 3 RIP on a Mac G4.

            If your configuration matches this, I can help you get it setup properly.

            It's more than a little confusing, meaning maddening, if you don't have some sort of reference to work off of.

            The Accuset has its own mind about what it wants to do, which is normally squelched by the RIP so you must have the .ppd file
            generated by the rip on all computers from which you are going to print.

            In addition, the RIP must have the proper settings in its own driver, which you setup using the RIP software program and save as default.

            I screwed my setup up once and it cost me $400 to get it back to normal. This is antique technology and the knowledge pool is shrinking rapidly.

            RED OAK PRESS | letterpress design & printing
            RICK ZIESING | 610.444.4889 x10 | Red Oak Press

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2012
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Mª Dolores Jiménez Mondragón <doloresj3@...> wrote:

              > Thank you Gerald, I know it, but I don't know if the imagesetter, with the
              > RIP setup for right reading (image is filmed as it is sended to the RIP),
              > is going to film RREU... I think that it depends on the way film is loaded,
              > may be?,

              Film in an imagesetter is always exposed to the emulsion. And the terminolgy used is either RR-E up or RR-E down (thinking of "wrong-reading" is just confusing the issues). The change in orientation is done in the software, not in the cassette. You should understand that most negative imageseting has been for offset lithographic printing in which the plate does not contact the stock directly; it transfers to a blanket first, so there is a reversal of the image, then another reversal as it transfers to the stock. Letterpress is a direct printing process; the plate is in direct contact with the stock. Now think of the stock and the film as having the same emulsion orientation, right-reading, up. The plate reads backwards but the film and stock read forwards.
              --Eric Holub, SF
            • matthew lamoureux
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2012
                As stated, the film will only load properly one way. If you try to load it backwards it I'll not unwind through the imagesetter properly. The exposure from the laser is made on the emulsion side of the film. Your RIP will require the imagesetter to be set a certain way from its console to work properly. The Avantra 30 I used had to be set to RREU and positive exposure for the setting from the RIP (Rampage) to produce RRED negatives for offset.