Re: {Disarmed} Re: [PPLetterpress] poor man's negative making for polymer plates

  • Silber MaiKätzchen
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
      Any reprographics shop that caters to the engineering
      and  architecture trade. Look under "Blueprinting"
      in the yellow pages.

      MaiKätzchen

      Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
      Carpe diem!
      quam minimum credula postero!

      Horace
      Odes Book I

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
        I should mention that the film comes in clear and frosted.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 26, 2012
          Richard

          I spent some time trying to avoid the expense and inconvenience of getting an imagesetter and processor but I found that if you wait long enough and keep your eyes open they do occasionally come up at a very reasonable price. In fact I ended up buying an Agfa Accuset, Mac Viper RIP and Agfa Rapiline processor for £615 here in the UK. I also bought a spare Accuset for another £200. I guess I was looking for about 40 wks before finding mine.

          If you do look for a second hand system try and get one from someone who has had it in operation until recently, especially the processor.

          Of course the real expense is running the processor afterwards.

          Nick.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Richard Meneely <usbcards@...> wrote:

          > Polymer plate makers-
          >
          > I feel that I'm at a crossroads with my home made negatives for polymer plate making. They've always served me well despite the pin holes. As I sort of expected, I'm not able to get the matte contact film I've been using these past few years. Very disappointing. Using this contact film enabled my style of polymer plate making to be called the "poor man's" method. And it's really about as good as the kind made through more professional ways. Or, at least, that's my opinion.
          >
          > The way I do it is to use a vellum like print out from my B/W HP LaserJet printer, place it over the contact film (emulsion on emulsion), turn on the vacuum draw down and then turn on the UV light for 2 seconds, then put the film in the A & B developer and finally the fix.
          >
          > Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes this kind of film? Or of anyone who simply sells this film. It doesn't have to be the "2 second" kind. It's either Daylight Metal Halide Contact Film, or Metal Halide Contact Film Matte which is what I've been using. I did come across a manufacturer who sent me a few samples of their DMHC film but I need more explanation of their Technical Data Sheet so that I can know how to use it and they're not returning my call. The dealer doesn't know anything about this film.
          >
          > Or, maybe there's a new technology that I don't know about. Maybe there's finally something available that I can just run through my B/W HP LaserJet printer.
          >
          > Any cheap imagesetters out there?
          >
          > Any ideas that are different, weird or eccentric?
          >
          > I'd be most grateful for any kind of help from anyone out there.
          >
          > Richard Meneely, www.usbcards.net

        • Richard Meneely
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 28, 2012
            Nick-
            Thanks so much for the excellent advice. Before I consider buying an imagesetter I'll reread your post.
            Richard M.

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 28, 2012
              I know of a couple of SelectSets that were available,
              a 5000 and a 7000. I haven't talked to the owners
              in a couple of months, but if anyone is interested ...

              (Off list please.)