Re: [PPLetterpress] poor man's negative making for polymer plates

  • matthew lamoureux
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 17, 2012
      I know of an operating service buereau in Washington state that s using an avantra 30.

      www.wirebids.com has a lino 330 in this months print auction. Looks like it will need a RIP to go with it though.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
        Over the weekend I experimented with some Mylar
        film from a local drafting supply made by Dietzgen,
        designed for laser printing, it comes in 9x12" and
        12x18", (as well as sizes to 36x48";) so it will run in
        most graphic arts laser printers.

        The target machine was my Xerox 7500m, and it worked
        great, and made a usable negative, in monochrome
        mode.

[...]

        • Silber MaiKätzchen
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
            Any reprographics shop that caters to the engineering
            and  architecture trade. Look under "Blueprinting"
            in the yellow pages.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
              I should mention that the film comes in clear and frosted.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 26, 2012
                Richard

                I spent some time trying to avoid the expense and inconvenience of getting an imagesetter and processor but I found that if you wait long enough and keep your eyes open they do occasionally come up at a very reasonable price. In fact I ended up buying an Agfa Accuset, Mac Viper RIP and Agfa Rapiline processor for £615 here in the UK. I also bought a spare Accuset for another £200. I guess I was looking for about 40 wks before finding mine.

                If you do look for a second hand system try and get one from someone who has had it in operation until recently, especially the processor.

                Of course the real expense is running the processor afterwards.

                Nick.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Richard Meneely <usbcards@...> wrote:

                > Polymer plate makers-
                >
                > I feel that I'm at a crossroads with my home made negatives for polymer plate making. They've always served me well despite the pin holes. As I sort of expected, I'm not able to get the matte contact film I've been using these past few years. Very disappointing. Using this contact film enabled my style of polymer plate making to be called the "poor man's" method. And it's really about as good as the kind made through more professional ways. Or, at least, that's my opinion.
                >
                > The way I do it is to use a vellum like print out from my B/W HP LaserJet printer, place it over the contact film (emulsion on emulsion), turn on the vacuum draw down and then turn on the UV light for 2 seconds, then put the film in the A & B developer and finally the fix.
                >
                > Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes this kind of film? Or of anyone who simply sells this film. It doesn't have to be the "2 second" kind. It's either Daylight Metal Halide Contact Film, or Metal Halide Contact Film Matte which is what I've been using. I did come across a manufacturer who sent me a few samples of their DMHC film but I need more explanation of their Technical Data Sheet so that I can know how to use it and they're not returning my call. The dealer doesn't know anything about this film.
                >
                > Or, maybe there's a new technology that I don't know about. Maybe there's finally something available that I can just run through my B/W HP LaserJet printer.
                >
                > Any cheap imagesetters out there?
                >
                > Any ideas that are different, weird or eccentric?
                >
                > I'd be most grateful for any kind of help from anyone out there.
                >
                > Richard Meneely, www.usbcards.net

              • Richard Meneely
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 28, 2012
                  Nick-
                  Thanks so much for the excellent advice. Before I consider buying an imagesetter I'll reread your post.
                  Richard M.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 28, 2012
                    I know of a couple of SelectSets that were available,
                    a 5000 and a 7000. I haven't talked to the owners
                    in a couple of months, but if anyone is interested ...

                    (Off list please.)