poor man's negative making for polymer plates

  • Richard Meneely
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 17, 2012
      Polymer plate makers-

      I feel that I'm at a crossroads with my home made negatives for polymer plate making. They've always served me well despite the pin holes. As I sort of expected, I'm not able to get the matte contact film I've been using these past few years. Very disappointing. Using this contact film enabled my style of polymer plate making to be called the "poor man's" method. And it's really about as good as the kind made through more professional ways. Or, at least, that's my opinion.

      The way I do it is to use a vellum like print out from my B/W HP LaserJet printer, place it over the contact film (emulsion on emulsion), turn on the vacuum draw down and then turn on the UV light for 2 seconds, then put the film in the A & B developer and finally the fix.

      Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes this kind of film? Or of anyone who simply sells this film. It doesn't have to be the "2 second" kind. It's either Daylight Metal Halide Contact Film, or Metal Halide Contact Film Matte which is what I've been using. I did come across a manufacturer who sent me a few samples of their DMHC film but I need more explanation of their Technical Data Sheet so that I can know how to use it and they're not returning my call. The dealer doesn't know anything about this film.

      Or, maybe there's a new technology that I don't know about. Maybe there's finally something available that I can just run through my B/W HP LaserJet printer.

      Any cheap imagesetters out there?

      Any ideas that are different, weird or eccentric?

      I'd be most grateful for any kind of help from anyone out there.

      Richard Meneely, www.usbcards.net
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 17, 2012
        Apparently some stamp makers are now using a "toner enhancer spray" to expose photopolymer plates directly from laser prints. This might be worth a try if you don't have any kind of darkroom:
        http://www.rubberstampmaterials.com/setssprayenhancedtonersystem.aspx

        Alternately, Ultrafine sells A&B type matte litho films. They are not the daylight films, though. While you don't really need a full scale darkroom to contact print them, you do have to handle & expose them under a red safelight:
        http://www.ultrafineonline.com/lhlifima.html

        Ed

        >I feel that I'm at a crossroads with my home made negatives for polymer plate making. They've always served me well despite the pin holes. As I sort of expected, I'm not able to get the matte contact film I've been using these past few years. Very disappointing. Using this contact film enabled my style of polymer plate making to be called the "poor man's" method. And it's really about as good as the kind made through more professional ways. Or, at least, that's my opinion.
        >
        >The way I do it is to use a vellum like print out from my B/W HP LaserJet printer, place it over the contact film (emulsion on emulsion), turn on the vacuum draw down and then turn on the UV light for 2 seconds, then put the film in the A & B developer and finally the fix.
        >
        >Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes this kind of film? Or of anyone who simply sells this film. It doesn't have to be the "2 second" kind. It's either Daylight Metal Halide Contact Film, or Metal Halide Contact Film Matte which is what I've been using. I did come across a manufacturer who sent me a few samples of their DMHC film but I need more explanation of their Technical Data Sheet so that I can know how to use it and they're not returning my call. The dealer doesn't know anything about this film.
        >
        >Or, maybe there's a new technology that I don't know about. Maybe there's finally something available that I can just run through my B/W HP LaserJet printer.
        >
        >Any cheap imagesetters out there?
        >
        >Any ideas that are different, weird or eccentric?
        >
        >I'd be most grateful for any kind of help from anyone out there.
        >
        >Richard Meneely, www.usbcards.net

      • Lewis, Matthew

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 17, 2012
            Hello, Matt-
            I already use a company called Valley Litho Supply for my vellum paper, but maybe Ryan Screen has something better. It's worth looking into.
            Your mentioning inkjet printer is interesting. They say that Ink Jet printers are getting better. But what do you mean by a "rip"? I've never heard of this concept.

            Richard Meneely,   usbcards@...

            Lotta good people with PPLetterpress, wouldn't you say?

[...]

          • Silber MaiKätzchen
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 17, 2012
              I find Vally Litho Supply to be a good and dependable
              supplier of film and chemicals; they have a good customer service
              department with knowledgeable advisors.

              Maikätzchen

              Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
              Carpe diem!
              quam minimum credula postero!

              Horace
              Odes Book I

[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Lewis, Matthew
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 17, 2012
                Hi Richard,

                There is a lot of laser vellum types available out there and Ryan are just one random suppler of many so search and choose on cost / quality best suited for your needs. There are many in the screenprint industry who use it to make their film positives for exposing photosensitive emulsion.

                As for inkjet, at its very simplest Inkjet printers require extra RIP software if you wish to create film halftones. If you do not use halftones  in your work you should still be able to use inkjet without extra RIP software to output your films.

                Inkjet is certainly getting better but as a replacement for the imagesetter still quite a way to go to match it for detail and edge quality.

                Matt

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 17, 2012
                    I know of an operating service buereau in Washington state that s using an avantra 30.

                    www.wirebids.com has a lino 330 in this months print auction. Looks like it will need a RIP to go with it though.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
                      Over the weekend I experimented with some Mylar
                      film from a local drafting supply made by Dietzgen,
                      designed for laser printing, it comes in 9x12" and
                      12x18", (as well as sizes to 36x48";) so it will run in
                      most graphic arts laser printers.

                      The target machine was my Xerox 7500m, and it worked
                      great, and made a usable negative, in monochrome
                      mode.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
                          Any reprographics shop that caters to the engineering
                          and  architecture trade. Look under "Blueprinting"
                          in the yellow pages.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 19, 2012
                            I should mention that the film comes in clear and frosted.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 26, 2012
                              Richard

                              I spent some time trying to avoid the expense and inconvenience of getting an imagesetter and processor but I found that if you wait long enough and keep your eyes open they do occasionally come up at a very reasonable price. In fact I ended up buying an Agfa Accuset, Mac Viper RIP and Agfa Rapiline processor for £615 here in the UK. I also bought a spare Accuset for another £200. I guess I was looking for about 40 wks before finding mine.

                              If you do look for a second hand system try and get one from someone who has had it in operation until recently, especially the processor.

                              Of course the real expense is running the processor afterwards.

                              Nick.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 28, 2012
                                Nick-
                                Thanks so much for the excellent advice. Before I consider buying an imagesetter I'll reread your post.
                                Richard M.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 28, 2012
                                  I know of a couple of SelectSets that were available,
                                  a 5000 and a 7000. I haven't talked to the owners
                                  in a couple of months, but if anyone is interested ...

                                  (Off list please.)