Looking for feed/delivery boards for my C&P NS 10x15

  • stubborn_press
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2012
      Hello! We're finally in the process of restoring our rescued press and she's in need of new feed/delivery boards. I'm aware that it's probably too much to find original boards, and I don't mind purchasing recreated ones or accepting plans on how to craft them myself.

      Actually, my father-in-law is rather carpentry-inclined and has already mentioned that he would gladly craft me new ones if I could get the dimensions and whatever else is necessary.

      I'm especially curious on how to reconstruct the swivel mechanism.

      Our press is currently equipped with a Kluge Automatic Feeder which we don't plan on using, so we will be removing it. That's why we're looking for feed/delivery boards instead.

      Thanks!
    • Rod
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2012
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "stubborn_press" <niftysmith@...> wrote:

        > Hello! We're finally in the process of restoring our rescued press and she's in need of new feed/delivery boards. I'm aware that it's probably too much to find original boards, and I don't mind purchasing recreated ones or accepting plans on how to craft them myself.
        >
        > Actually, my father-in-law is rather carpentry-inclined and has already mentioned that he would gladly craft me new ones if I could get the dimensions and whatever else is necessary.
        >
        > I'm especially curious on how to reconstruct the swivel mechanism.
        >
        > Our press is currently equipped with a Kluge Automatic Feeder which we don't plan on using, so we will be removing it. That's why we're looking for feed/delivery boards instead.
        >
        > Thanks!

        The rebuilt delivery board on my 10 x 15 C & P is 21 1/2" x 12" made from oak veneer solid core 3/4" board. I nailed a piece of 1/8" thick, 2 1/2" x 21 1/2" masonite to the front of the board as a backstop.

        The feedboard is also made from the same 3/4" solid core board and is 11 1/2" x 15". The socket where the board rotates is 7/8". If you can't find the part that mounts on the board, a 1/2" black iron floor flange with a 4" - 6" black iron nipple will work fine. You can find these parts in the plumbing department of your home center or hardware store. The wingnut that locks the board in place on my press is 3/8"-16 threaded wingnut.

        FYI schedule 40 black iron is .840 OD, 7/8" is .875 .

        These boards have been on my press over 20 years, so they aren't so pretty anymore, but if you have trouble visualizing, I may be persuaded to take photos.

        My e-mail is rod at granthams dot com to email me.

        Hope this helps

        Rod
      • stubborn_press
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2012
          Thank you so much for all the measurements, Rod. My husband and I really like the idea of making our own boards just for the experience and the sentimental value of it all.

          Do I need special bolts to attach the delivery board to my press?

          I would never complain about seeing pictures. I will send you an email today! :)
        • taybarrett