Re: Letterpress

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 10, 2012
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

      > master printer was simply the man who
      > owned the shop, and thus was the master of the workmen. In other words, he
      > was the employer.

      That is traditional Anglo-American usage in commercial printing. It is not true of Continental usage. Some craft training there issued issued a master certificate (or meister schrift) which is the equivalent of journeyman: someone who had completed apprentice training and done a master work showing ability, and were therefore master printers, master bookbinders, etc. fit to be employed.
      In the US this has become muddied by the term master printer as used in printmaking, and printmaking has influenced contemporary letterpress. MFA printmakers are most definitely among those doing not just book arts but also commercial job letterpress today.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12, 2012
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.

        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!