Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress

  • Cory Rockliff
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 9 5:19 PM
      The passage would appear to have been adapted from an essay entitled 'The value of precedent in printing,' by Lindsay Swift: http://books.google.com/books?id=Rv0gAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA32

      On Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 1:50 PM, typetom@... wrote:

      Thanks Graham Moss and John Henry for more measured comments.

      Despair over the lack of craft and knowledge is not new in printing history. Consider the following passage from the 1922 Monotype Specimen Book of Type Faces (used to display various sizes of a text face - at the height of an era of fine typography). I underlined a couple of spots. Printers have often lamented the ignorance of the young. I don't know who wrote this passage but his finger-wagging is kin to Gerald's contemporary epitaph for the book arts.

      Tom

      The best kind of originality is that which comes after a

      sound apprenticeship; that which shall prove itself to be

      the blending of a firm conception of useful precedent and

      the progressive tendencies of an able mind. For, let a man

      be as able and original as he may, he cannot afford to discard

      knowledge of what has gone before or what is now

      going on in his own trade and profession. If the printers

      of today do not wish to be esteemed arrogant when they

      term this calling of theirs an art, they must be willing, and

      show that they are willing, to subject it to such laws as

      have made its sister arts so free. All those concerned in

      what are accepted as the fine arts, the learned sciences and

      professions surround themselves with the history, literature,

      and concrete examples of work with which they are particularly

      engaged. Yet it is only in very rare instances that

      such an atmosphere, with its material appurtenances, is to

      be found in the printing office. Art does not flourish in

      hidden places, nor under restraint, nor in ignorance of what

      talent and genius have accomplished and are accomplishing

      throughout the world. For to follow precedent wisely does

      not mean to imitate slavishly one great exemplar, but to

      study all the masters faithfully, letting their great achievements

      sink slowly into the mind in order that we may patiently

      derive from the richness of our acquired knowledge

      and organized system an attitude of our own. The sprightly

      minded young man, who with his first business breath projects

      the new and startling, inevitably becomes tiresome,

      and is driven to an early disappearance; while the slower

      and more solidly endowed student will at least spend as much

      of his time in avoiding mistakes as in evolving brilliant schemes . . .

    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12 8:17 AM
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.

        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!