Re: Letterpress

  • brettrcrockett
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 8, 2012
      Gerald, Barb, Austin, Peter, et al-

      This thread had been one of the best discussions of letterpress I've ever read. I thought it important to point out that the issues and feelings, frustration and situation you see now don't apply solely to letterpress—it's a common experience in any artistic area, and probably any industry at all.

      Reminds me of the many years I was a disc jockey, and proud to call myself one. With the advent of MP3s, iPods and personal computers (not to mention the constant onslaught of other cheap equipment any professional wouldn't consider appropriate), came a wave of people who thought they could DJ their own events with their cracker jack equipment and MP3 libraries stolen off Napster. People began to ask why they needed a DJ at all, to sneer at the prices we were asking, and generally look down on the profession as a whole. Even more irritating to the rest of us were the kids with low-quality digital music libraries and home stereo equipment had the gall to call themselves DJs.

      It was a frustrating time in the industry, and probably still is for many. In the end though, I realized that I didn't want the kind of clients who wanted that sort of DJ. We continued to conduct ourselves like professionals with the experience, and yes, even a little skill that set us apart from the others. I eventually learned that the pack of amateurs we were up in arms over weren't our competitors at all.

      Back to the topic at hand-

      To this day, my favorite smell in the wold is the smell of my dad coming home—he smelled like the print shop, and the print shop smelled like my dad. I can't separate the two. I grew up watching him thumb through brochures, books, and other printed material at home or on a vacation and commenting on the quality of the printing (or lack thereof). At a young age, I learned to tell the difference on my own. Now my wife has learned, and hopefully someday my kids will too.

      Just because some can't tell the difference between good or poor printing, or typography, or wine or music—that won't diminish the joy I feel when I see, hear, taste, or practice it.

      What I'm thankful for is that I know how to enjoy it—in large part, because my father or someone like you taught me how to enjoy it—whether on this discussion board, on Briar Press, or in person.

      I hope that you'll all be proud of your craft (or art or metier or skill or love or whatever you want to call it), and that you'll realize you are recognized and respected for it. But even if you weren't—whether because people didn't understand or appreciate it—I'd hope that you'd still do it because you want to preserve that piece of yourself and those who came before you.

      Thanks again for the great discussion.
      Brett

      > Peter
      >
      > I keep hearing this sentiment over and over again:
      >
      > "Nonetheless, the unyielding nature of steel and iron will eventually raise questions in those minds about the origins and best practices of the art."
      >
      > That ain't happening brother. Just the opposite, hatred for anyone who even attempts to discuss "best practices." Have you been over to Briar Press Discussions lately?
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Bravo.
      > >
      > > Thanks for the good thoughts and observations.
      > >
      > > It's true that the press has a history and a craft which has largely slipped under (or is it arched over) the nano-second awareness of contemporary culture, including those young folks who see letterpress as the natural extension of rubberstamping ;-) (Which, in a way, it is!)
      > >
      > > Nonetheless, the unyielding nature of steel and iron will eventually raise questions in those minds about the origins and best practices of the art.
      > >
      > > At least there's some love for the physical material involved...
      > > (iPad apps notwithstanding ;-)
      > >
      > > PF
      > >
      > > Peter Fraterdeus
      > > Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      > > http://slowprint.com/
      > > tweet: @slowprint
      > >
      > > IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      > > Communication Strategy
      > > Semiotx.com @ideaswords
      > >

      > > On 6 Feb 2012, at 7:29 PM, Austin Jones wrote:
      > >

      > > > Gerald and Barbara
      > > >
      > > > I can hear you. I also share your concern. I would like to suggest that we need to consider history. In 1776 John Dunlap printed approx 120 copies of the Declaration of Independence for the expressed purpose of posting on the broadside of buildings up and down the east coast. Today there are 20 of those broadsides in existence. They are highly prized to the point that the last one to come up for auction brought over 7 million dollars.
      > > >
      > > > I do not think we can control how history will view our efforts. We do - knowing the effort will make its own place in history. John Dunlap had no thought as to how history would view the efforts of his shop on the night of July 4, 1776. He was just doing a job. He was working to get the word out to the masses. Nothing more, nothing less.
      > > >
      > > > I see worrying about how our efforts will survive makes about as much sense as trying to write a will telling how the benefactor is to use the proceeds.
      > > >
      > > > Just print and let the work stand on its own merits.
      > > >
      > > > tks
      > > >
      > > > Austin Jones
      > > > austin@

    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12, 2012
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.

        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!