Re: Letterpress

  • celene
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 8 7:36 AM
      Hello and Good Morning!

      I am sure I am not as eloquent as folks participating in this conversation, and certainly not as succinct as Ensign Chekov, but I will offer --

      I am fortunate to witness fine printing happening on a regular basis, being carried out by graduate students in Chicago, working on their printing practices and skills, and I find that very encouraging.

      I also have the good fortune to teach introductory letterpress printing to the community at large, and am delighted to realize that while they don't exactly know the language yet, many of the students I see are actively seeking ways to learn to participate in the discussion of letterpress printing, and more importantly, their tastes do run the range and that does include some with an inclination toward fine printing.

      The populace at large will never ever be able to grasp the subtleties of fine printing - they are just too large a group. However, I believe among this group, many of whom are young and/or naive, there are some with the sensibilities to appreciate the variations and differences of printing and they will push beyond old sign type from a barrel set ransom-note style to seek out more and more interesting print work . . . it's just a matter of needing some time to learn, outlets to discover it, and meeting others interested in sharing their knowledge.

      Happy Wednesday!

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Smith" <fsmith01@...> wrote:

      > "Is old Russian Proverb. To grow beautiful rose, one must endure much manure." - Ensign Chekov, USS Enterprise

    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12 8:17 AM
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.

        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!