Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Letterpress

    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 8, 2012
      Heavens no.
      I wouldn't expect intelligent discussion in any type of online public forum ;-)

      I do know that there are some folks with a legitimate gripe about the elitist nature and prohibitive costs of fine printing. They would rather slap something on the press for an Occupy manifesto set ransom note style from a barrel of old sign type.

      But that's really comparing apples and oranges. There are probably more people using relief process with old presses than ever. While the craft of letterpress may seem lost in the flurry of sloppy work, I've seen too much gorgeous work to worry that there will be no more fine books.

      Guess we'll have to wait and see. A thesis subject for some yet unborn design historian...

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com
      google voice 1 563 223 8231
      peterf@...

      From iPhone plz excuse brevity!

      On Feb 8, 2012, at 5:04 AM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

      > Peter
      >
      > I keep hearing this sentiment over and over again:
      >
      > "Nonetheless, the unyielding nature of steel and iron will eventually raise questions in those minds about the origins and best practices of the art."
      >
      > That ain't happening brother. Just the opposite, hatred for anyone who even attempts to discuss "best practices." Have you been over to Briar Press Discussions lately?
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Bravo.
      >>
      >> Thanks for the good thoughts and observations.
      >>
      >> It's true that the press has a history and a craft which has largely slipped under (or is it arched over) the nano-second awareness of contemporary culture, including those young folks who see letterpress as the natural extension of rubberstamping ;-) (Which, in a way, it is!)
      >>
      >> Nonetheless, the unyielding nature of steel and iron will eventually raise questions in those minds about the origins and best practices of the art.
      >>
      >> At least there's some love for the physical material involved...
      >> (iPad apps notwithstanding ;-)
      >>
      >> PF
      >>
      >> Peter Fraterdeus
      >> Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      >> http://slowprint.com/
      >> tweet: @slowprint
      >>
      >> IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      >> Communication Strategy
      >> Semiotx.com @ideaswords
      >>

      >> On 6 Feb 2012, at 7:29 PM, Austin Jones wrote:
      >>

      >>> Gerald and Barbara
      >>>
      >>> I can hear you. I also share your concern. I would like to suggest that we need to consider history. In 1776 John Dunlap printed approx 120 copies of the Declaration of Independence for the expressed purpose of posting on the broadside of buildings up and down the east coast. Today there are 20 of those broadsides in existence. They are highly prized to the point that the last one to come up for auction brought over 7 million dollars.
      >>>
      >>> I do not think we can control how history will view our efforts. We do - knowing the effort will make its own place in history. John Dunlap had no thought as to how history would view the efforts of his shop on the night of July 4, 1776. He was just doing a job. He was working to get the word out to the masses. Nothing more, nothing less.
      >>>
      >>> I see worrying about how our efforts will survive makes about as much sense as trying to write a will telling how the benefactor is to use the proceeds.
      >>>
      >>> Just print and let the work stand on its own merits.
      >>>
      >>> tks
      >>>
      >>> Austin Jones
      >>> austin@...

    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12, 2012
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.

        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!