Re: Letterpress

    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 6, 2012
      Hi Barbara

      Thanks for your response, wasn't sure how my rant would fly. I didn't mean to trash Betty, I was just confused by her message and was wondering out loud. I've known her since way back when and I very much admire her book No Longer Innocent: Book Art in America, 1960-1980, since it was the first study of the book art movement to actually address the fine press book, and its history, in a positive light.

      I recall some of the hostility that reigned at the time. My favorite was the photograph of three so-called artist book makers eating a copy of one of Walter Hamady's limited editions. To prove a point of sorts. At any rate, and to address your reply, when Hamady was once asked why we made books by hand and printed them ourselves his answer was a simple, "because we have to."

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Hauser" <BarbHauser@...> wrote:

      > Cheer up, Gerald. I just finished reading the article, and while I
      > appreciate the work of academicians, I doubt that their pronouncements
      > and characterizations have anything to do with something a printer might
      > be working on. It even bothers me that any book printed letterpress
      > these days, particularly a book with illustrations, is called an
      > "artists' book" and is thus subject to such exegesis. Can we not simply
      > print books? And if we see ourselves as simply printing books, then
      > isn't craft a given -- something we don't dwell on, as we don't dwell on
      > breathing? Certainly we seek out teachers, we study the work of our
      > forebears, we consult references -- but these activities are driven by
      > craft, not toward it.
      > Letterpress is just a technique -- a procedure using specific tools and
      > materials -- and as such you should not be sad that while some people
      > use it to punch out cheesy cards and grunge posters, others produce
      > books that are attentive to all the things you care about. There's a
      > place for both in this world, and there has always been more demand for
      > the former than the latter. This should not cause us to lament or to
      > hesitate in the least in continuing on with projects that satisfy our
      > hands, hearts, and minds. Honestly, it does not bother me one whit to
      > think that my letterpress œuvre will end up in some descendant's
      > trash bin. It's up to the pieces to save themselves.
      > Barbara
      > _________________________
    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12, 2012
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.

        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!