Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Letterpress

    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 6, 2012

      Thanks for the good thoughts and observations.

      It's true that the press has a history and a craft which has largely slipped under (or is it arched over) the nano-second awareness of contemporary culture, including those young folks who see letterpress as the natural extension of rubberstamping ;-) (Which, in a way, it is!)

      Nonetheless, the unyielding nature of steel and iron will eventually raise questions in those minds about the origins and best practices of the art.

      At least there's some love for the physical material involved...
      (iPad apps notwithstanding ;-)

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      tweet: @slowprint

      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      Communication Strategy
      Semiotx.com @ideaswords

      On 6 Feb 2012, at 7:29 PM, Austin Jones wrote:

      > Gerald and Barbara
      > I can hear you. I also share your concern. I would like to suggest that we need to consider history. In 1776 John Dunlap printed approx 120 copies of the Declaration of Independence for the expressed purpose of posting on the broadside of buildings up and down the east coast. Today there are 20 of those broadsides in existence. They are highly prized to the point that the last one to come up for auction brought over 7 million dollars.
      > I do not think we can control how history will view our efforts. We do - knowing the effort will make its own place in history. John Dunlap had no thought as to how history would view the efforts of his shop on the night of July 4, 1776. He was just doing a job. He was working to get the word out to the masses. Nothing more, nothing less.
      > I see worrying about how our efforts will survive makes about as much sense as trying to write a will telling how the benefactor is to use the proceeds.
      > Just print and let the work stand on its own merits.
      > tks
      > Austin Jones
      > austin@...
    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12, 2012
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.
        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.
        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!
        quam minimum credula postero!