Letterpress

    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 6, 2012
      I had reason to refer a forum correspondent to an article I wrote that was published a decade ago regarding a historical reference to a typeface. It occurred to me as I did so that no one else would really care. I have felt that way for quite some time; ever since, as someone once posted on another forum, "Boxcar invented letterpress" (she meant that literally, not tongue in cheek).

      Twenty-first century letterpress is decidedly atypographic and extraordinarily populist and anti-hierachical. Its history is of little concern to its myriad practitioners. Which is why when I read, and reread, and reread Betty Bright's article, "History as Fable, Helix, and Aperture," in the recent issue of Printing History, I was even more dismayed, and quite perplexed. There is some kind of attempt to champion "letterpress" at play here, I think, but this is something no historian or critical writer on the artists' book would have done in the later years of the twentieth century, when "kraft," and specifically letterpress, which supposedly entailed craft, was the perceived enemy (e.g., remember JAB?).

      Unfortunately, in her attempt to work letterpress (and associated craft or not) into that structure she doesn't really seem to grasp that the very popular revival of letterpress in the last decade (and likely why she embraces the term) has nothing whatsoever to do with the book arts. I eventually came to the realization that the article was an epitaph.

    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12, 2012
        To tell the truth, I really enjoy the planning, prepress,
        and bindery of complex jobs more than the presswork.

        Right now I have a case bound, (Smythe Sewen,)
        project in house that includes eleven gatfold illustrations,
        one six pages long. After a lot of careful planning
        I am looking for fun on the folder.

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!