Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: flexo to washout

  • Silber MaiKätzchen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2012
      If there is the ability to set the temperature properly,
      all you need to do is:

      1. Drain the solvent developer from the machine.

      1a. Remove any developer filters if used.

      2. Fill the tank with a  double strength mixture of
      Dawn and water. Twice as much soap as for dish
      washing. Wash the sides of the inside of the unit
      with a sponge. Use hot water.

      3. Rinse the machine with two or three changes of
      plain water.

      3a. Install a set of new filters.

      4. Install a new set of brushes.

      5. Fill the tank with the aqueous developer.

      6. Set the proper operating temperature. Check with a
      thermometer to make sure that the right temperature
      is attained.

      7. Run a test plate.

      7. Celebrate a job well done with some nice cheese,
      thin slices of crusty bread and a good Merlot.

      MaiKätzchen

      Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
      Carpe diem!
      quam minimum credula postero!

      Horace
      Odes Book I

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2012
        I half suspect that a change in bulbs might be in order as well. Though I have no idea what the correct configuration would be.

        Just a note: You can run water-based flexo plates in a conventional photopolymer platemaking machine. A long while back I was running flexo plates for a client. Requires the right plates (I was using BASF) and a much higher water temp than normal and soft water.

      • rchamlee@mac.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
          Introduction to Book Binding

          Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles

          February 7, 2012 – April 17, 2012

          Tuesday 7pm – 10pm

          This hands-on workshop, taught by Rebecca Chamlee, introduces the skills, craft, materials, process and techniques used in making book structures. Students learn binding methods involving paper folding, cutting, sewing, gluing and other means of assembling individual sheets, signatures and text blocks with or without covers. Course projects have the potential to evolve into creative and personal objects that hold visual work and text.

          For more information call 310.665.6950

          http://otis.edu/ce,course.php?crs=642&dsc=6&sem=31

          Rebecca Chamlee is a book artist, designer, printer and binder and has published contemporary literature in innovatively designed, letterpress printed, hand-bound limited-edition fine press and artist's books under the imprint of Pie In The Sky Press since 1985. Her work is in prominent special collections throughout the U.S. and has been exhibited widely. Chamlee is an associate professor of book arts in the BFA program at Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles.