Re: flexo to washout

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Ithaca Typothetae <listslistslists@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone on the list know if it is possible to convert a solvent-based flex platemaker to a water washout unit?
      >
      > Terry

      I don't know if solvent washout machines have a temperature control, or if so a compatible temperature range. Without suitable temp control, water washout won't be even remotely consistant.
      Eric Holub, SF
    • Ithaca Typothetae
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2012
        I've discovered that the hydraulic components on a solvent-based machine are not suited for water operation. Essentially they will rust over time.

        I wonder if such parts could be replaced or coated with a protective substance.
      • Silber MaiKätzchen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2012
          If there is the ability to set the temperature properly,
          all you need to do is:

          1. Drain the solvent developer from the machine.

          1a. Remove any developer filters if used.

          2. Fill the tank with a  double strength mixture of
          Dawn and water. Twice as much soap as for dish
          washing. Wash the sides of the inside of the unit
          with a sponge. Use hot water.

          3. Rinse the machine with two or three changes of
          plain water.

          3a. Install a set of new filters.

          4. Install a new set of brushes.

          5. Fill the tank with the aqueous developer.

          6. Set the proper operating temperature. Check with a
          thermometer to make sure that the right temperature
          is attained.

          7. Run a test plate.

          7. Celebrate a job well done with some nice cheese,
          thin slices of crusty bread and a good Merlot.

          MaiKätzchen

          Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
          Carpe diem!
          quam minimum credula postero!

          Horace
          Odes Book I

          > Does anyone on the list know if it is possible to convert a solvent-based flex platemaker to a water washout unit?
          >
          > Terry

          I don't know if solvent washout machines have a temperature control, or if so a compatible temperature range. Without suitable temp control, water washout won't be even remotely consistant.
          Eric Holub, SF

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
              PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2012
            I half suspect that a change in bulbs might be in order as well. Though I have no idea what the correct configuration would be.

            Just a note: You can run water-based flexo plates in a conventional photopolymer platemaking machine. A long while back I was running flexo plates for a client. Requires the right plates (I was using BASF) and a much higher water temp than normal and soft water.

          • rchamlee@mac.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
              Introduction to Book Binding

              Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles

              February 7, 2012 – April 17, 2012

              Tuesday 7pm – 10pm

              This hands-on workshop, taught by Rebecca Chamlee, introduces the skills, craft, materials, process and techniques used in making book structures. Students learn binding methods involving paper folding, cutting, sewing, gluing and other means of assembling individual sheets, signatures and text blocks with or without covers. Course projects have the potential to evolve into creative and personal objects that hold visual work and text.

              For more information call 310.665.6950

              http://otis.edu/ce,course.php?crs=642&dsc=6&sem=31

              Rebecca Chamlee is a book artist, designer, printer and binder and has published contemporary literature in innovatively designed, letterpress printed, hand-bound limited-edition fine press and artist's books under the imprint of Pie In The Sky Press since 1985. Her work is in prominent special collections throughout the U.S. and has been exhibited widely. Chamlee is an associate professor of book arts in the BFA program at Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles.