Re: dots moving

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

      > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back.

      On steel-back plates I've seen this when under-exposed, which gives a barrel-shaped body rather than a cone; the base can then soften and shift during washout. It can happen in specific fonts as when the dot over the "i" is designed too small. But on plastic backed-plates could it be insufficient back-exposure?
      Eric Holub, SF
    • letterpress_man
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
        Ian

        I was having the same problem and a few other with the same plate material, when I went to buy my next order from Boxcar they were out of this plate material and suggested using KF95 instead. I have been very pleased with the change. I get the same plate with a clearer back so it helps in placing it on the base, it processes the same with the exception of a 25 second back exposure which is requires with these plates and also seems to help with some of the problems you are having. I have used about 12 A2 sheets now without a problem.

        Rick Shearer

        Oliver Brinn Letterpress

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

        > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back. I'm thinking it must be a washout thing temp, time etc, but just wanted to check, because I'm concerned it maybe a film issue with the density.
        >
        > Cheers & happy holidays.

      • Jessica Hosgood
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
          I had this problem once, when I forgot to turn on the water heater and had to wash longer to get rid of all the unexposed polymer. So I would suggest trying a shorter washout time, in hotter water.

          Jessica

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

          > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back. I'm thinking it must be a washout thing temp, time etc, but just wanted to check, because I'm concerned it maybe a film issue with the density.
          >
          > Cheers & happy holidays.

        • letterpress_man
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2011
            Ian

            I was having the same problem and a few other with the same plate material, when I went to buy my next order from Boxcar they were out of this plate material and suggested using KF95 instead. I have been very pleased with the change. I get the same plate with a clearer back so it helps in placing it on the base, it processes the same with the exception of a 25 second back exposure which is requires with these plates and also seems to help with some of the problems you are having. I have used about 12 A2 sheets now without a problem.

            Rick Shearer

            Oliver Brinn Letterpress

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

            > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back. I'm thinking it must be a washout thing temp, time etc, but just wanted to check, because I'm concerned it maybe a film issue with the density.
            >
            > Cheers & happy holidays.

          • Ian Bristow
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2011
              Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm pretty sure your right about the room temp Gerald as I was processing while my shop was heating back up.
              These harsh Canadian winters do not help!!! I also had the plates leaning up against a cold wall. I will make sure I bring the heat up in the shop first
              and try again. I have also used the 95 plate material with o.k. results, I find it is often hit and miss with my platemaker. She does the trick most of the time
              but by no means the cadillac of platemakers (jerry rigged polimero unit). I think the problem is the fluctuating shop temperature and the light source.
              Santa never brought me a new platemaker!!!

              Thanks again

              Happy New Year!!!

              Ian
              We Do Printing
              http://wedoprinting.wordpress.com/
              www.wedoprinting.net

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2011
                Ian

                If you need bulbs go here:
                http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/

                Santa didn't bring me a new platemaker either. What's up with that? I guess we weren't on the good boys' list.

                A couple of small miracles and positive transitions though so ready for 2012 with my bear claws on.

                Let's go!