Re: [PPLetterpress] dots moving

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 28, 2011
      Ian

      Yes, this could be a problem with temperature, but not necessarily your
      water temperature. I've been fielding a number of similar problems,
      including my own. In the winter months you do need to get the area you
      are working with up to room temperature and the raw material as well.
      That said, I would suspect you also need to increase your exposure and
      slightly decrease your washout time. I am assuming here you are using a
      standard platemaking machine. If so, you should also get the machine
      heated up and run an empty exposure before you start.

      If you are using quality silver-based film negatives there should not be
      a problem. If not, all bets are off.

      I've been running with some weakening components, aging bulbs, an
      erratic electrical problem, making slight adjustments and hoping to take
      care of these during the holiday off time. I had replacement bulbs and
      extra ballasts on hand so I did not see a problem, except of course for
      having to go through all that. Then, yesterday, a large job came in and
      on the very last plate came the perfect storm, my brush went to sponge.
      Wasn't expecting that. Another $700 write off going into the new year.
      On the bright side, my supplier had one in stock.

      Amazing how long you can coast along and then, wham.

      On 12/28/11 8:44 AM, Ian wrote:
      > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back. I'm thinking it must be a washout thing temp, time etc, but just wanted to check, because I'm concerned it maybe a film issue with the density.
      >
      > Cheers& happy holidays.

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

        > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back.

        On steel-back plates I've seen this when under-exposed, which gives a barrel-shaped body rather than a cone; the base can then soften and shift during washout. It can happen in specific fonts as when the dot over the "i" is designed too small. But on plastic backed-plates could it be insufficient back-exposure?
        Eric Holub, SF
      • letterpress_man
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
          Ian

          I was having the same problem and a few other with the same plate material, when I went to buy my next order from Boxcar they were out of this plate material and suggested using KF95 instead. I have been very pleased with the change. I get the same plate with a clearer back so it helps in placing it on the base, it processes the same with the exception of a 25 second back exposure which is requires with these plates and also seems to help with some of the problems you are having. I have used about 12 A2 sheets now without a problem.

          Rick Shearer

          Oliver Brinn Letterpress

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

          > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back. I'm thinking it must be a washout thing temp, time etc, but just wanted to check, because I'm concerned it maybe a film issue with the density.
          >
          > Cheers & happy holidays.

        • Jessica Hosgood
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
            I had this problem once, when I forgot to turn on the water heater and had to wash longer to get rid of all the unexposed polymer. So I would suggest trying a shorter washout time, in hotter water.

            Jessica

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

            > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back. I'm thinking it must be a washout thing temp, time etc, but just wanted to check, because I'm concerned it maybe a film issue with the density.
            >
            > Cheers & happy holidays.

          • letterpress_man
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2011
              Ian

              I was having the same problem and a few other with the same plate material, when I went to buy my next order from Boxcar they were out of this plate material and suggested using KF95 instead. I have been very pleased with the change. I get the same plate with a clearer back so it helps in placing it on the base, it processes the same with the exception of a 25 second back exposure which is requires with these plates and also seems to help with some of the problems you are having. I have used about 12 A2 sheets now without a problem.

              Rick Shearer

              Oliver Brinn Letterpress

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

              > I recently processed some plates and the dots shifted over on the plate, has anyone had this problem before? I am using 94 FL plates plastic back. I'm thinking it must be a washout thing temp, time etc, but just wanted to check, because I'm concerned it maybe a film issue with the density.
              >
              > Cheers & happy holidays.

            • Ian Bristow
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2011
                Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm pretty sure your right about the room temp Gerald as I was processing while my shop was heating back up.
                These harsh Canadian winters do not help!!! I also had the plates leaning up against a cold wall. I will make sure I bring the heat up in the shop first
                and try again. I have also used the 95 plate material with o.k. results, I find it is often hit and miss with my platemaker. She does the trick most of the time
                but by no means the cadillac of platemakers (jerry rigged polimero unit). I think the problem is the fluctuating shop temperature and the light source.
                Santa never brought me a new platemaker!!!

                Thanks again

                Happy New Year!!!

                Ian
                We Do Printing
                http://wedoprinting.wordpress.com/
                www.wedoprinting.net

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2011
                  Ian

                  If you need bulbs go here:
                  http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/

                  Santa didn't bring me a new platemaker either. What's up with that? I guess we weren't on the good boys' list.

                  A couple of small miracles and positive transitions though so ready for 2012 with my bear claws on.

                  Let's go!