Killing the Bear book release

  • Chad Pastotnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28 1:02 PM
      For those of you in the lower MI, IL, OH, IN area that might be interested.

      This Saturday in Saugatuck, MI will be the debut release of "Killing the Bear" by Judith Minty, a new book issued by Chad Pastotnik and his Deep Wood Press.

      Apparently paper invitations didn't go out and I've been too busy cranking the press to be doing much else myself so pardon this digital invitation to this Saturdays event, hope you can make it:

      Ark Gallery Hosts Artist Book Debut

      Renowned Michigan poet, Judith Minty will read her short story "Killing the Bear" at Marcia Perry's Ark Gallery, Saugatuck at 4 p.m. Saturday, December 3rd.

      Appreciators of fine writing fine art prints, fine letterpress printing and bears are all invited to celebrate the publication of a limited collectors' edition of Minty's much-heralded prose poem at an afternoon reception.

      Since receiving the United States Award from the International Poetry Forum in 1973 for her book, Lake Songs and Other Poems, Minty has been an influential figure in the writing world. She directed the Writer's Program at Humboldt State University in California from 1982-1993 and taught at various American universities since that time. She now lives near Lake Michigan in Muskegon and is only occasionally rousted from her haven to share her work with the public.

      A sense of place is a recurring theme in Minty's writings and Michigan is the place she has chronicled most often and most vividly throughout her 40-year literary career. The semi-autobiographcal "Killing the Bear" is set in a remote wooded cabin on the Yellow Dog River in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Speaking about this work, Minty says "I think it appeals to readers because it invites reader participation and also works on archetypal levels....The thing that held me together as a poet was writing this piece!" Although the prose poem appears in many anthologies, it has never been published on its own until now.

      This small press edition features the wood engravings of Glenn Wolff, a northern Michigan fine artist who is greatly admired as a book illustrator (It's Raining Frogs and Fishes, etc.). "Each piece I do is a meditation – often on landscape (interior and exterior), and creatures (us and not us). For me Judith Minty’s story “Killing the Bear” spoke to similar themes, overlapping them like waves. My hope is that the engravings in the book add one more pleasing riffle, " said Wolff.

      In the making for a decade, this handbound, letterpress-printed volume was designed by Chad Pastotnik, winner of the prestigious Hertzog Award for excellence in book design. Pastotnik, proprietor, printer and publisher at Deep Wood Press in Mancelona, Michigan was the guiding force for this collaborative arts project. A long-time admirer of Minty's writings and Wolff's illustrations, he wove their work together with his own to create this exquisite book.

      "Twenty years ago, letterpress printing seemed to be a dying craft. Today, thanks to a few visionary creators such as Chad Pastotnik, the book arts have become a cutting-edge art form sought after by the most discerning collectors and treasured by all of us who love beautiful books," said gallery owner Perry.

      Wolff and Pastotnik will join Minty in sharing their work and signing autographs at the gallery reception from three to six o'clock p.m. Refreshments will be served. As a special treat, attendees will each receive a hand-crafted keepsake of this very special occasion.

      Marcia Perry’s Ark Gallery and Sculpture Studio is located at 6248 Blue Star Highway which is two miles northeast of downtown Saugatuck, Michigan (the first building on the south side of Blue Star Highway past Exit 41 of I-196). For more information, call 269-857-4210 or email marcia@... .

      Chad Pastotnik 231.587.0506
      Deep Wood Press
      P.O. Box 726 - postal
      121 Doerr Rd. - UPS/FedEx deliveries