The Ink Dial - a Kickstarter for printers & printmakers

  • Ithaca Typothetae
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 26, 2011
      D E A R P P L

      (My apologies for the cross-posting.)

      I am writing to share a bit of printing-related news about an exciting new project I've begun. I have developed a new tool for measuring component inks to mix colors precisely, cleanly & repeatedly. I am looking to get some sets of these tools manufactured and into the hands of printers & printmakers who'll put it to heavy use. I wish I could share lots of details about the tool, but I've not been able to afford any help with patent protection.

      I wish I could tell you lots about it: what it looks like, how it works, etc. Just today I've posted answers to many frequently asked questions on the Kickstarter page.

      Kickstarter tells me no one will pledge unless they see what it is they're pledging for, while the patent lawyers' free advice is I'd be crazy to show this to anyone until the moment I am ready to take orders & ship. I have chosen to err on the side of caution.I can say it is very simple & purely mechanical. It is primarily meant for very small-scale printers. And while it addresses and solves many ink measuring & maintenance problems, the system isn't quite suited for screen printing inks.

      One of the many reasons I have to go this Kickstarter route is because I haven't the funds to afford filing the protective paperwork. Furthermore, what I have in my shop are working prototypes and my goal with this Kickstarter is to produce a large quantity of the next generation of prototypes incorporating all the improvements I've come up with. Once these sets are ready I would like to get sets out there into the world for others to use for 2-4 weeks so I may then incorporate what feedback I receive into the final design.

      I think the rewards are particularly interesting but what do letterpress printers need with letterpress printing? Perhaps some of you might be or know of fans & collectors of the artists. Speaking of whom, check out some of the amazing artists who'll be making prints for kickback:

      1. Marian Bantjes
      <http://www.bantjes.com/>

      2. Alan Blackman
      <http://alanblackman.com/>

      3. Andrew Byrom
      <http://andrewbyrom.com/>

      4. Michael Clark
      <http://www.typerror.com/>

      5. Michael Doret
      <http://www.michaeldoret.com/>

      6. Ed Fella
      <http://edfella.com/>

      7. Eric Hanson
      <http://er-h.com/>

      8. Carl Kurtz
      <http://lmgtfy.com/?q=carl+kurtz+calligraphy>

      9. Carl Rohrs
      <http://lmgtfy.com/?q=carl+rohrs+calligraphy>

      10. Yvette Rutledge
      <http://www.mysticbluesigns.com/engraving.html>

      11. Paul Shaw
      <http://www.paulshawletterdesigncom/>

      12. Susan SkarsgÄrd
      <http://www.facesofgm.com/2011/06/30/susan-skarsgard-designing-a-rich-and-interesting-career/>

      13. John Stevens
      <http://www.johnstevensdesign.com/>

      14. Sumner Stone
      <http://www.stonetypefoundry.com/>

      15. Jack Unruh
      <http://www.jackunruh.com/>

      Their faith in my project is heartening. I expect to post some of the reward images as updates on the Kickstarter page in the near future.

      Do let me know if you have any questions or interest in testing the system when it's ready. I will do the best I can to answer your queries.

      Meanwhile, if you can't pledge, I would tremendously appreciate it if you could simply help get the word out. Maybe you tweet or Facebook or blog. Maybe you have readers, clients or vendors interested in printing ink, letterpress, graphic design, American-made products, micro-entrepreneurism, lettering art, or beautiful limited edition prints? The bottom line is: every little bit of exposure by any ounce of effort will make a difference.

      From the bottom of my ink encrusted heart thank you for your time & attention.

      I humbly remain, yours in lead, ink, pixel & paper

      T E R R Y

      Terrence Chouinard
      I T H A C A T Y P O T H E T AE
      11744 Antler Ridge Way
      Athens, Alabama 35611

      256-497-8495

      inkdial.com
      lawsonarchive.com
    • Amber Ellis-Seguine
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 15, 2012
        Andre at dolphin graphics in SF. Can't recommend him enough. Fantastic guy and my film is always done right/super fast.

        On Aug 15, 2012, at 8:03 PM, Andrew Maximow <amaximow@...> wrote:

        Hi Amber,
        Who processes negatives for you?
        --A