Re: Xante Platemaker Question

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2011
      Mirka

      I process photopolymer plates for folks using silver-based film negatives. I have also access to toner based negatives made by a high end Xante. Some experience in this regard.

      My feelings are this. If you are looking for affordable plates, buy them from a professional plate maker. Processed plate prices are not that dissimilar from what they were 20 years ago. Silver-based film negatives are far cheaper than they were 20 years ago. And they are costing the suppliers far, far more than what they would have paid 20 years ago. What's the end consumer got to complain about? This is deflation, not inflation. This is a win, win scenario.

      Why invest a ton of money into a machine that is only approximately adequate in regard to letterpress specifications and whose material costs (toner, transparencies, toner enhancers, software/hardware upgrades) are in the outer limits of the absurd. These are just money drainers, and for what? not quite up to par plates?

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mirka" <mirka_hokkanen@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I have a question for you more seasoned pros out there. I have a chance to buy a Xante 8200 Platemaker machine. Does anyone have any experience if it could be used to print out transparencies to make plates? We live in Europe and making affordable plates is always a challenge.

    • Mirka
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2011
        Thanks for all the help. I've contacted a couple of people offgroup for more detailed info. The platemaker only costs about $20, so I figured it would not be a big investment, and even if I get the Laserblack machine to go with it for another $200, it would pay itself back in a year in negative making costs. My partner has gotten a lead on a used plate exposure/washout system that we can probably also get for a steal.

        Mirka

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 25, 2011
          Good luck.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mirka" <mirka_hokkanen@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for all the help. I've contacted a couple of people offgroup for more detailed info. The platemaker only costs about $20, so I figured it would not be a big investment, and even if I get the Laserblack machine to go with it for another $200, it would pay itself back in a year in negative making costs. My partner has gotten a lead on a used plate exposure/washout system that we can probably also get for a steal.
          >
          > Mirka
          >
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mirka
          > >
          > > I process photopolymer plates for folks using silver-based film negatives. I have also access to toner based negatives made by a high end Xante. Some experience in this regard.
          > >
          > > My feelings are this. If you are looking for affordable plates, buy them from a professional plate maker. Processed plate prices are not that dissimilar from what they were 20 years ago. Silver-based film negatives are far cheaper than they were 20 years ago. And they are costing the suppliers far, far more than what they would have paid 20 years ago. What's the end consumer got to complain about? This is deflation, not inflation. This is a win, win scenario.
          > >
          > > Why invest a ton of money into a machine that is only approximately adequate in regard to letterpress specifications and whose material costs (toner, transparencies, toner enhancers, software/hardware upgrades) are in the outer limits of the absurd. These are just money drainers, and for what? not quite up to par plates?
          > >
          > > Gerald
          > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          > >

          > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mirka" <mirka_hokkanen@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi, I have a question for you more seasoned pros out there. I have a chance to buy a Xante 8200 Platemaker machine. Does anyone have any experience if it could be used to print out transparencies to make plates? We live in Europe and making affordable plates is always a challenge.

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2011
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mirka" <mirka_hokkanen@...> wrote:

            >The platemaker only costs about $20, so I figured it would not be a big investment, and even if I get the Laserblack machine to go with it for another $200, it would pay itself back in a year in negative making costs.

            Consider the consumables. What is the cost of toner cartridges? How long do they last before quality lesssens?
            --Eric Holub, SF