Re: Vandercook Cocktail competition

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 18, 2011
      Well, maybe a concoction of oil and grease, sweat and blood and tears, in 99% beer.

      > "The choice of the winning cocktail may be based on some or all of these criteria: taste, its relevance to the Vandercook's history, its relation to some aspect of letterpress printing, its relationship to the place of origin (Chicago-area)."
      >
      > A cocktail? I was born and raised in the industrial upper midwest. Them are beer folk.
      >
      > Gerald
      >
      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Call for Entries: The Vandercook Cocktail
      > >
      > > To honor the Vandercook Proof Press, it’s history and significance, and it's place in our lives, a competition has been created for the design of the specialty cocktail to carry its name. "The Vandercook Cocktail" will be chosen from recipe submissions gathered throughout the letterpress community.
      > >
      > > Testing/tasting will take place in December, 2011 and the winner/s announced at the upcoming CBAA Conference "Time, Sequence & Technology" (San Francisco Bay Area, January, 2012).
      > >
      > > The winner of the competition will receive a certificate verifying their mixological innovation as “The Vandercook Cocktail” and a copy of Paul Moxon's "Vandercook Presses: Maintenance, History and Resources". Other prizes may be given at the discretion of the judges.
      > >
      > > The choice of the winning cocktail may be based on some or all of these criteria: taste, its relevance to the Vandercook's history, its relation to some aspect of letterpress printing, its relationship to the place of origin (Chicago-area).
      > >
      > > You may submit up to 2 recipes. Make sure to have ingredients, amounts, garnishes, temperature, preferred glass, and any mixology equipment specified in your recipe. If your recipe requires hard-to-find ingredients, please send these by post to the organizer (see address below). Make sure to include a statement explaining your recipe design and concept..
      > >
      > > Deadline for submissions: December 1, 2011.
      > > Results announced: January 7, 2012 at the CBAA conference.
      > >
      > > Send your recipes, statement, contact information (phone, address, email), and also indicate whether you plan to attend the CBAA conference to:
      > >
      > > Vandercook Cocktail Competition
      > > c/o Barb Tetenbaum :: 7907 N. Wabash Ave. :: Portland, OR 97217
      > > or by email: btetenbaum@
      > >
      > > This competition is independently organized by Barb Tetenbaum, Marilyn Zornado, Julie Chen and Macy Chadwick. Judges will be selected from members of both the printing and drinking sectors of the Pacific Northwest.
      > >
      > > Please note: This competition and the results are organized independent of CBAA (College Book Art Association), but the CBAA has generously offered the upcoming conference as a place to announce the winner.
      > >
      > > You need not be a member of the College Book Art Association to participate.

    • Graham and Kathy
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2011
        That's about right, and why not - beer with a whisky chaser is still as
        close to a cocktail as I want to get after a day turning the handles on the
        SP15.

        Graham Moss

        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England

        http://www.inclinepress.com

        On 18/10/11 08:28, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...> wrote:

        > Well, maybe a concoction of oil and grease, sweat and blood and tears, in 99%
        > beer.
        >
        > Gerald
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 19, 2011
          First I heard about this.

          I could be wrong, but it looks like Vandercook employees drank Lowenbrau at their Christmas parties: http://vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/1957a.jpg

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@...> wrote:

          > Call for Entries: The Vandercook Cocktail
          >
          > To honor the Vandercook Proof Press, it’s history and significance, and it's place in our lives, a competition has been created for the design of the specialty cocktail to carry its name. "The Vandercook Cocktail" will be chosen from recipe submissions gathered throughout the letterpress community.
          >
          > Testing/tasting will take place in December, 2011 and the winner/s announced at the upcoming CBAA Conference "Time, Sequence & Technology" (San Francisco Bay Area, January, 2012).
          >
          > The winner of the competition will receive a certificate verifying their mixological innovation as “The Vandercook Cocktail” and a copy of Paul Moxon's "Vandercook Presses: Maintenance, History and Resources". Other prizes may be given at the discretion of the judges.
          >
          > The choice of the winning cocktail may be based on some or all of these criteria: taste, its relevance to the Vandercook's history, its relation to some aspect of letterpress printing, its relationship to the place of origin (Chicago-area).
          >
          > You may submit up to 2 recipes. Make sure to have ingredients, amounts, garnishes, temperature, preferred glass, and any mixology equipment specified in your recipe. If your recipe requires hard-to-find ingredients, please send these by post to the organizer (see address below). Make sure to include a statement explaining your recipe design and concept..
          >
          > Deadline for submissions: December 1, 2011.
          > Results announced: January 7, 2012 at the CBAA conference.
          >
          > Send your recipes, statement, contact information (phone, address, email), and also indicate whether you plan to attend the CBAA conference to:
          >
          > Vandercook Cocktail Competition
          > c/o Barb Tetenbaum :: 7907 N. Wabash Ave. :: Portland, OR 97217
          > or by email: btetenbaum@...
          >
          > This competition is independently organized by Barb Tetenbaum, Marilyn Zornado, Julie Chen and Macy Chadwick. Judges will be selected from members of both the printing and drinking sectors of the Pacific Northwest.
          >
          > Please note: This competition and the results are organized independent of CBAA (College Book Art Association), but the CBAA has generously offered the upcoming conference as a place to announce the winner.
          >
          > You need not be a member of the College Book Art Association to participate.

        • Christine Barker
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2011
            Lowenbrau is two ingredients...one glass n 1 bottle of Lowenbrau. Submit that!

            Lol!

            On Oct 19, 2011, at 10:17 PM, "Gerald Lange" <Bieler@...> wrote:

            Yes, anonymous, way more than tired of the PC Academic BS.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/bielerpress/6229066552/in/photostream

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/bielerpress/6179269321/in/photostream

            Collect your checks, be happy with that.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2011
              >> First I heard about this.
              >>
              >> I could be wrong, but it looks like Vandercook employees drank Lowenbrau at their Christmas parties: http://vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/1957a.jpg

              Wow.

              The only woman in the room is playing an accordion?
              Wonder what they were all singing?

              That's the 1950s in a nutshell ;-)

              Peter Fraterdeus
              Exquisite letterpress takes time™
              http://slowprint.com/
              tweet: @slowprint

              IdeasWords : Idea Swords
              Communication Strategy
              Semiotx.com @ideaswords
            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2011
                But the other pictures from that party show the women--they were there. All
                told, we have maybe 20 pictures from various Vandercook company parties and
                they all smoked and had drinks in hand.

                Fritz

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 21, 2011
                  Yeah, the 1950s. When the US was on top of the world economically, and the future was rosy for the family hopeful, and actually obtainable in their lifetime.

                  I recently read a report that if one were to compare life expectancy in the US from the 1950s to current and exclude the advances in curing heart disease, we are currently in decline, and should expect that to continue. The good news, life expectancy increases in times of economic turmoil.

                  Gerald