Re: LA Printers Fair Report - obscure leading?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Matt Kelsey <matthewkelsey@...> wrote:

      > In the late 70s when printing a big project I settled on 2.5 pt. leading for
      > 10 pt. Baskerville, which meant 1 pt. and 1.5 pt. leads, 20 picas long. I
      > still have some of these, but my eyesight is not quite the same and it's
      > much harder now to sort them!

      Matt, here's some 20/20 hindsight for you: using two-point leads and 1/2 point copper strip or inexpensive .007" index paper would have been much easier to sort. You need perceivable differences in thickness or material. Today brasses and coppers are a rarity to buy, but 1-pt leads and 1/2 point index stock are available and the index at least is affordable (and standard in a non-distribution Monotype situation even back in the '70s). Index stock can be cut on a slug cutter if you don't have a saw.
      --Eric Holub