Re: [PPLetterpress] LA Printers Fair Report - obscure leading?

  • Matt Kelsey
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
      In the late 70s when printing a big project I settled on 2.5 pt. leading for 10 pt. Baskerville, which meant 1 pt. and 1.5 pt. leads, 20 picas long. I still have some of these, but my eyesight is not quite the same and it's much harder now to sort them!

      Matt

      On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM, mike day <vangogh1888@...> wrote:

      Thanks for this. I bought some 1, 3, 6 from Mr Ambrosi a few years ago and was very please with his work but it doesn't hurt to know another source. 1.5 is very interesting.

      Mike

      2011/10/3 Silber MaiKätzchen <maykitten1@...>

      1pt., 3pt., other odd sizes. I have an Giant Caster mold
      for 1.5 pt. (And regularly still use the Giant Caster.)

      MaiKätzchen

      Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
      Carpe diem!
      quam minimum credula postero!

      Horace
      Odes Book I

        > In the late 70s when printing a big project I settled on 2.5 pt. leading for
        > 10 pt. Baskerville, which meant 1 pt. and 1.5 pt. leads, 20 picas long. I
        > still have some of these, but my eyesight is not quite the same and it's
        > much harder now to sort them!

        Matt, here's some 20/20 hindsight for you: using two-point leads and 1/2 point copper strip or inexpensive .007" index paper would have been much easier to sort. You need perceivable differences in thickness or material. Today brasses and coppers are a rarity to buy, but 1-pt leads and 1/2 point index stock are available and the index at least is affordable (and standard in a non-distribution Monotype situation even back in the '70s). Index stock can be cut on a slug cutter if you don't have a saw.
        --Eric Holub