Re: LA Printers Fair Report - obscure leading?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, mike day <vangogh1888@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for this. I bought some 1, 3, 6 from Mr Ambrosi a few years ago and
      > was very please with his work but it doesn't hurt to know another source.

      Try M&H Type. I've bought 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 18, 24, and maybe 36 point spacing material from them, and there's also Elrod rule and Monotype rule and border material. I think Bell in LA is still casting strip material as well. NA Graphics also sells Elrod material. No need to import.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Matt Kelsey
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
        In the late 70s when printing a big project I settled on 2.5 pt. leading for 10 pt. Baskerville, which meant 1 pt. and 1.5 pt. leads, 20 picas long. I still have some of these, but my eyesight is not quite the same and it's much harder now to sort them!

        Matt

        On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM, mike day <vangogh1888@...> wrote:

        Thanks for this. I bought some 1, 3, 6 from Mr Ambrosi a few years ago and was very please with his work but it doesn't hurt to know another source. 1.5 is very interesting.

        Mike

        2011/10/3 Silber MaiKätzchen <maykitten1@...>

        1pt., 3pt., other odd sizes. I have an Giant Caster mold
        for 1.5 pt. (And regularly still use the Giant Caster.)

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!
        quam minimum credula postero!

        Horace
        Odes Book I

          > In the late 70s when printing a big project I settled on 2.5 pt. leading for
          > 10 pt. Baskerville, which meant 1 pt. and 1.5 pt. leads, 20 picas long. I
          > still have some of these, but my eyesight is not quite the same and it's
          > much harder now to sort them!

          Matt, here's some 20/20 hindsight for you: using two-point leads and 1/2 point copper strip or inexpensive .007" index paper would have been much easier to sort. You need perceivable differences in thickness or material. Today brasses and coppers are a rarity to buy, but 1-pt leads and 1/2 point index stock are available and the index at least is affordable (and standard in a non-distribution Monotype situation even back in the '70s). Index stock can be cut on a slug cutter if you don't have a saw.
          --Eric Holub