Re: [PPLetterpress] LA Printers Fair Report - obscure leading?

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi Tom

      I'll let you know after I secure my needs. :—)

      Gerald

      On 10/1/11 9:59 PM, typetom@... wrote:
      What is obscure leading?
      Cheers,
      Tom

      In a message dated 10/1/2011 10:44:27 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, Bieler@... writes:
      This was the third year of the Fair and my third year of attendance.

      First thing I did even before setting up my table was go over to Letterpress Things and picked up some obscure quoins I had been looking for. And asked if they could supply some obscure leading I was looking for. Didn't have them with but could supply. Nice. They have good stuff, very well organized.

      Another great Fair and the folks at the International Printing Museum were on top of it all the way, as per usual.

    • Silber MaiKätzchen
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
        1pt., 3pt., other odd sizes. I have an Giant Caster mold
        for 1.5 pt. (And regularly still use the Giant Caster.)

        MaiKätzchen

        Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
        Carpe diem!
        quam minimum credula postero!

        Horace
        Odes Book I

        This was the third year of the Fair and my third year of attendance.

        First thing I did even before setting up my table was go over to Letterpress Things and picked up some obscure quoins I had been looking for. And asked if they could supply some obscure leading I was looking for. Didn't have them with but could supply. Nice. They have good stuff, very well organized.

        Another great Fair and the folks at the International Printing Museum were on top of it all the way, as per usual.

      • mike day

            > Thanks for this. I bought some 1, 3, 6 from Mr Ambrosi a few years ago and
            > was very please with his work but it doesn't hurt to know another source.

            Try M&H Type. I've bought 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 18, 24, and maybe 36 point spacing material from them, and there's also Elrod rule and Monotype rule and border material. I think Bell in LA is still casting strip material as well. NA Graphics also sells Elrod material. No need to import.
            --Eric Holub, SF
          • Matt Kelsey

                > In the late 70s when printing a big project I settled on 2.5 pt. leading for
                > 10 pt. Baskerville, which meant 1 pt. and 1.5 pt. leads, 20 picas long. I
                > still have some of these, but my eyesight is not quite the same and it's
                > much harder now to sort them!

                Matt, here's some 20/20 hindsight for you: using two-point leads and 1/2 point copper strip or inexpensive .007" index paper would have been much easier to sort. You need perceivable differences in thickness or material. Today brasses and coppers are a rarity to buy, but 1-pt leads and 1/2 point index stock are available and the index at least is affordable (and standard in a non-distribution Monotype situation even back in the '70s). Index stock can be cut on a slug cutter if you don't have a saw.
                --Eric Holub