PDT to be available in ebook format

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
      The fifth edition of Printing digital type on the hand-operated flatbed cylinder press will be available in ebook format only. Expected release is later this year.

      For further details as they progress go here:

      http://letterpressmonamour.blogspot.com/2011/08/pdt-ebook.html

      Gerald
    • Chad Pastotnik
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
        Ouch.

        ___________________________
        Chad Pastotnik
        Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
        http://www.deepwoodpress.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2013
          Hey Chad

          Going way back there for this one. Yup. Initially I thought just let it go out of print. Then I thought why not just do the e-book thing, and not have to worry about it anymore.

          The more time I spent on that, formatting and re-formatting, working out the logistics, I began to realize, ya know, this is what is wrong. Especially to the buyer (if the hardware or software changes, there are problems) and I do not inherently trust the internet nor any of the folks working it. Sort of a relief to let that go actually. Plus, hey, I like real books.

          So, the fifth (maybe I should take that) edition will be issued in print mode (ya know, paper, ink, binding thread). Might take a bit though.

          Gerald

          http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/2006/07/printing-digital-type-on-hand-operated.html

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Chad Pastotnik <chad@...> wrote:

          > Ouch.
          >
          > ___________________________
          > Chad Pastotnik
          > Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
          > http://www.deepwoodpress.com
          >
          > On Sep 28, 2011, at 8:49 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
          >
          > > The fifth edition of Printing digital type on the hand-operated flatbed cylinder press will be available in ebook format only. Expected release is later this year.
          > >
          > > For further details as they progress go here:
          > >
          > > http://letterpressmonamour.blogspot.com/2011/08/pdt-ebook.html
          > >
          > > Gerald

        • Chad Pastotnik
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 9, 2013
            Ha! That is going way back!

            I'm glad though that your effort will make it to paper, especially after the amount of work that has gone into such a resource. Yes, I can access many specimen books and treatises on printing and binding online but if I have a paper copy that's the first place I look.

            ________________________
            Chad Pastotnik
            Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
            website: http://www.deepwoodpress.com
            blog: http://deepwoodpress.wordpress.com/

            On Jun 9, 2013, at 5:50 AM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

            > Hey Chad
            >
            > Going way back there for this one. Yup. Initially I thought just let it go out of print. Then I thought why not just do the e-book thing, and not have to worry about it anymore.
            >
            > The more time I spent on that, formatting and re-formatting, working out the logistics, I began to realize, ya know, this is what is wrong. Especially to the buyer (if the hardware or software changes, there are problems) and I do not inherently trust the internet nor any of the folks working it. Sort of a relief to let that go actually. Plus, hey, I like real books.
            >
            > So, the fifth (maybe I should take that) edition will be issued in print mode (ya know, paper, ink, binding thread). Might take a bit though.
            >
            > Gerald
            >
            > http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/2006/07/printing-digital-type-on-hand-operated.html
            >

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Chad Pastotnik <chad@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Ouch.
            >>
            >> ___________________________
            >> Chad Pastotnik
            >> Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
            >> http://www.deepwoodpress.com
            >>
            >> On Sep 28, 2011, at 8:49 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:
            >>
            >>> The fifth edition of Printing digital type on the hand-operated flatbed cylinder press will be available in ebook format only. Expected release is later this year.
            >>>
            >>> For further details as they progress go here:
            >>>
            >>> http://letterpressmonamour.blogspot.com/2011/08/pdt-ebook.html
            >>>
            >>> Gerald

          • Michael Phillips
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 9, 2013
              thanks Chad, yes we will share

              To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              From: chad@...
              Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 20:45:12 -0400
              Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] PDT to be available in ebook format

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
                Chad

                Hey, thanks for the response. More soul searching though. Hell, it ran for 13 years. I guess there was a reason I let it sit, primarily I think was the direction all this is now headed, which has nothing to do with the intention of the book.

                Gerald

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Chad Pastotnik <chad@...> wrote:

                > Ha! That is going way back!
                >
                > I'm glad though that your effort will make it to paper, especially after the amount of work that has gone into such a resource. Yes, I can access many specimen books and treatises on printing and binding online but if I have a paper copy that's the first place I look.
                >

                > ________________________
                > Chad Pastotnik
                > Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                > website: http://www.deepwoodpress.com
                > blog: http://deepwoodpress.wordpress.com/
                >
                > On Jun 9, 2013, at 5:50 AM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hey Chad
                > >
                > > Going way back there for this one. Yup. Initially I thought just let it go out of print. Then I thought why not just do the e-book thing, and not have to worry about it anymore.
                > >
                > > The more time I spent on that, formatting and re-formatting, working out the logistics, I began to realize, ya know, this is what is wrong. Especially to the buyer (if the hardware or software changes, there are problems) and I do not inherently trust the internet nor any of the folks working it. Sort of a relief to let that go actually. Plus, hey, I like real books.
                > >
                > > So, the fifth (maybe I should take that) edition will be issued in print mode (ya know, paper, ink, binding thread). Might take a bit though.
                > >
                > > Gerald
                > >
                > > http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/2006/07/printing-digital-type-on-hand-operated.html
                > >

                > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Chad Pastotnik <chad@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Ouch.
                > >>
                > >> ___________________________
                > >> Chad Pastotnik
                > >> Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                > >> http://www.deepwoodpress.com

              • Silber MaiKätzchen
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
                  I have spent four years locating as many fonts of Intertype Medieval and Vogue
                  as I could along with their sorts, redrawing the glyphs and digitizing them into
                  new fonts.

                  I now have fifteen fonts in text suitable versions, (for up to 14 point,) and twenty-
                  one fonts in display suitable versions, (14 point and larger.) The new fonts reproduce
                  identically to their hot metal counterparts, and have not been modernized or "adapted"
                  to digital production.

                  As to Vogue Magazines claim  to the copyright on the font, their legal department
                  sent me a kind letter saying they have no interest since it was Intertype and ATF
                  who designed the fonts. I have repeatedly sent requests for Heidelberg's permission
                  to reproduce the faces both to the US and DE offices, but after three months I
                  have gotten no reply from them expressing any interest to the fonts being reproduced
                  or any claim to the copyright. (Lots of sales literature on their other products though.)

                  I am wondering if there is a digital foundry that I could entice to handling the distri-
                  bution of these faces; and how to find them.

                  MaiKätzchen

                  Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                  Carpe diem!
                  quam minimum credula postero!

                  Horace
                  Odes Book I

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
                    Silber

                    You could contact Richard Kegler at P22. I think he is a member of this list. Not sure he would take this on, but he would certainly be worth talking to.

                    Gerald

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Silber MaiKätzchen <maykitten1@...> wrote:

                    > I have spent four years locating as many fonts of Intertype Medieval and Vogue
                    >
                    > as I couldalong with their sorts, redrawing the glyphs and digitizing them into
                    >
                    > new fonts.
                    >
                    > I now have fifteen fonts in text suitable versions, (for up to 14 point,) and twenty-
                    > one fonts in display suitable versions, (14 point and larger.) The new fonts reproduce
                    >
                    > identically to their hot metal counterparts, and have not been modernized or "adapted"
                    >
                    > to digital production.
                    >
                    > As to Vogue Magazines claim  to the copyright on the font, their legal department
                    >
                    > sent me a kind letter saying they have no interest since it was Intertype and ATF
                    >
                    > who designed the fonts. I have repeatedly sent requests for Heidelberg's permission
                    >
                    > to reproduce the faces both to the US and DE offices, but after three months I
                    >
                    > have gotten no reply from them expressing any interest to the fonts being reproduced
                    >
                    > or any claim to the copyright. (Lots of sales literature on their other products though.)
                    >
                    > I am wondering if there is a digital foundry that I could entice to handling the distri-
                    > bution of these faces; and how to find them.
                    >

                    > MaiKätzchen
                    >

                    > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                    > Carpe diem!
                    > quam minimum credula postero!
                    >
                    > Horace
                    > Odes Book I

                  • grove_08
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 12, 2013
                      Silber, you might also try MyFonts.com. In fact P22 Foundry sells their fonts through MyFonts.com
                      They are a good venue for individual font designers.
                      You can find their prospectus here:
                      http://www.myfonts.com/info/prospectus/
                      In their words:
                      MyFonts, the web site with the largest collection of fonts, has a track record of selling fonts to hundreds of thousands of users ranging from those who have never bought a font before to professional designers and advertising agencies.
                      Participation is open to font foundries large and small, including individual designers. A simple review process ensures that your fonts meet the standards required.
                      Good luck, Grover

                      > Silber
                      >
                      > You could contact Richard Kegler at P22. I think he is a member of this list. Not sure he would take this on, but he would certainly be worth talking to.
                      >
                      > Gerald
                      >

                      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Silber MaiKätzchen <maykitten1@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have spent four years locating as many fonts of Intertype Medieval and Vogue
                      > >
                      > > as I couldalong with their sorts, redrawing the glyphs and digitizing them into
                      > >
                      > > new fonts.
                      > >
                      > > I now have fifteen fonts in text suitable versions, (for up to 14 point,) and twenty-
                      > > one fonts in display suitable versions, (14 point and larger.) The new fonts reproduce
                      > >
                      > > identically to their hot metal counterparts, and have not been modernized or "adapted"
                      > >
                      > > to digital production.
                      > >
                      > > As to Vogue Magazines claim  to the copyright on the font, their legal department
                      > >
                      > > sent me a kind letter saying they have no interest since it was Intertype and ATF
                      > >
                      > > who designed the fonts. I have repeatedly sent requests for Heidelberg's permission
                      > >
                      > > to reproduce the faces both to the US and DE offices, but after three months I
                      > >
                      > > have gotten no reply from them expressing any interest to the fonts being reproduced
                      > >
                      > > or any claim to the copyright. (Lots of sales literature on their other products though.)
                      > >
                      > > I am wondering if there is a digital foundry that I could entice to handling the distri-
                      > > bution of these faces; and how to find them.
                      > >

                      > > MaiKätzchen
                      > >

                      > > Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
                      > > Carpe diem!
                      > > quam minimum credula postero!
                      > >
                      > > Horace
                      > > Odes Book I

                    • JS
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 13, 2013
                        I was going to say the same thing. MyFonts is always my go-to place to look for a new font for a project. They are GREAT! Easy to work with, HUGE variety of fonts, and I've never been disappointed (except when I can't afford a font I want!) Go to myfonts.com and have a look.
                        Good luck,
                        Jennifer