Suzanne Moore to lecture at Wells College

  • Wells Book Arts Center
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2003
      The Wells College Book Arts Center is pleased to announce that Suzanne Moore
      will present this spring's Susan Garretson Swartzburg '60 Memorial Book Arts
      Lecture at Wells College. The lecture, entitled "Everything Begins with A:
      Alphabets, Architecture, and the Art of the Book," will be given at 8:00 pm
      on Monday, March 31 in the Art Exhibit Room of Macmillan Hall on the Wells
      College campus. The event is free and open to the public.

      Suzanne Moore is a lettering artist and designer who combines contemporary
      vision with traditional scribal techniques, painting and drawing in
      manuscript books, limited edition books and broadsides.

      Writing about one of Moore¹s works, Facets of the Diamond, in Calligraphy
      Review (volume 9, number 2), Betty Bright said: "Moore¹s supreme sense of
      color and movement find expression on the page surface itself, as a colored
      background which changes to reflect the meaning of the text as it moves
      through the book.Š Her rhythmic, sweeping brush strokes and vibrant layering
      of colors suggest a cross between Morris Louis and Matisse in the spatial
      effect akin to that achieved in the Moroccan paintings.Š Like Matisse, Moore
      invents her own architecture of the book whose levels seem to build upon and
      down into the page¹s surface, capturing the poem within the creative
      timeline of paint."

      Subjects of Suzanne¹s painting and drawings include Sequoyah and the
      Cherokee writing system, the history and spirituality of gardening, and
      non-Latin alphabets. Ms. Moore has taught lettering and arts-related
      subjects throughout the United States and in Europe, Hong Kong and Japan.
      Her work is exhibited widely, and her manuscript books have been acquired
      for major private and public collections in the United States and Europe,
      including the Pierpont Morgan Library, New York; The Library of Congress;
      the James S. Copley Library, La Jolla, California; and the special
      collections of Harvard University, Wellesley and Smith Colleges.

      Suzanne currently art directs the Lettering Design and Font Design Group at
      American Greetings in Cleveland, Ohio, and she is one of seven artists (and
      one of only two Americans) illuminating the St. John¹s Bible, a manuscript
      Bible commissioned by the Benedictine St. John¹s Abbey, in Collegeville,
      Minnesota. This monumental work is overseen by Donald Jackson at his
      Scriptorium in Wales.

      Ms. Moore's slide lecture will focus on selections from her 20-year career
      as a designer, painter, lettering artist and collaborative book maker. The
      Book Arts Center will host a reception in Morgan Hall immediately after the
      lecture so that guests may see a display of Ms. Moore¹s work and speak with
      her informally.

      The lecture series is made possible through the Heiland-Garretson Book Arts
      Lecture Fund, established by Susan Garretson Swartzburg '60 and sustained
      through the generosity of her family.

      Inspired by Victor Hammer, founder of the Wells College Press and an
      internationally-renowned calligrapher, painter, printer and type designer,
      the Wells Book Arts Center was established in 1993 to instruct in all areas
      of book arts and technologies. Students in Wells book arts classes learn the
      history and philosophy of their craft as they develop hand skills in the
      fabrication of books. They gain international perspective on book arts with
      visits from accomplished lecturers, writers, and artists, and with field
      trips to the area's remarkable collection of libraries, presses, paper mills
      and binderies. Current classes teach design, typography, the evolution of
      letterforms, letterpress printing, bookbinding, and the history of the book.
      Though it embraces historical arts and technologies, the Center is not an
      atavistic curiosity; it actively investigates and incorporates
      innovations of our digital age. The Wells Book Arts Center supports the
      mission of the College by revealing the essential role of the book in
      Western culture and the liberal arts.

      Wells College was established in 1868 by Henry Wells, founder of the Wells
      Fargo and American Express companies. Wells had a vision of creating an
      institution to advance women through liberal arts education. Today, Wells
      College continues this tradition by offering quality academic programs to
      women from across the United States and several foreign countries. Wells
      College is dedicated to preparing women for the challenges and opportunities
      of the 21st century. The college is located in the beautiful village of
      Aurora, on Cayuga Lake, between Ithaca and Auburn, New York.

      For more information about this event, please contact the Wells Book Arts
      Center by phone at 315-364-3420 or by email at bookartscenter@..., or
      visit us on the world-wide web at
      http://aurora.wells.edu/~wbac/bookarts/index.html.

      --

      Wells Book Arts Center
      Wells College

      315-364-3420
      bookartscenter@...

      -30-
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18, 2003
        I know this isn't strictly related to photo polymer, but I need to replace
        my century-old Challenge guillotine paper cutter, and am looking for
        recommendations. It's a 19.5" cutter, the old kind with a handle that you
        pull down, and all the tolerances are just too worn to make consistent cuts.
        I'd love to replace it, but all the cutters I have looked at cost thousands.
        Can anyone recommend a reliable paper cutter that is fairly easy and fast to
        use that doesn't cost an art and a leg? Thanks.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com
      • Silver MayKitten
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18, 2003
          I highly recomend Baum's 31�" cutter.

          http://www.baumfolder.com/cut315.html

          I purchased one for my instant print bindery about
          six months ago, and have nothing but high praise
          for it.

          MayKitten
          --- Katie Harper <knharper@...> wrote:

          > I know this isn't strictly related to photo polymer,
          > but I need to replace
          > my century-old Challenge guillotine paper cutter,
          > and am looking for
          > recommendations. It's a 19.5" cutter, the old kind
          > with a handle that you
          > pull down, and all the tolerances are just too worn
          > to make consistent cuts.
          > I'd love to replace it, but all the cutters I have
          > looked at cost thousands.
          > Can anyone recommend a reliable paper cutter that is
          > fairly easy and fast to
          > use that doesn't cost an art and a leg? Thanks.
          >

          > Katie Harper
          > Ars Brevis Press
          > Cincinnati, OH
          > 513-233-9588
          > http://www.arsbrevispress.com

          =====
          Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

          From the book, Charge of the Goddess
          BY: Doreen Valiente

          http://platinum.yahoo.com
        • riverrider2
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2003
            I recently visited Eastern Equipment Company in Greensboro, NC to
            look at a Kluge (I didn't buy). While walking around the warehouse
            and feeling like a kid in a candy store, I saw several of the manual
            Challenge cutters available for sale. I doubt the market for these
            is very brisk, so you may be able to negotiate a reasonable price.

            Contact Avery Barrier at 336-275-1203 if you're interested. You
            might try a dealer local to you as well.

            Steve Rush
            Fireside Printing Co.
            Marietta, GA

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Katie Harper <knharper@f...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25, 2003
              I have a few questions for Suitcase/Mac 10 users out there. I recently
              purchased Suitcase 10. It works well, so far, but comes with scant
              documentation. Am wondering:

              1. I have a folder where I keep most of my fonts, a large collection. Should
              I just drag that folder to Suitcase, and let it list all those fonts
              (deactivated of course) and let it auto activate as I need the fonts for
              various files? I have hesitated to do that before, but using the ADD FONT
              button to load one at a time is a pain.

              2. Short of adding the entire collection, can I add more than one at a time?

              3. Suitcase likes to Unexpectedly Quit when I try to use it in Classic. It
              works ok in the background, but if I try to add fonts, it goes bye bye.
              However, if I boot up in 9.2.2, it works fine. Any thoughts?

              Am also looking for scanner recommendations, as my Microtek X6 apparently
              won't work with 9.2.2 or 10.2.4. It's a marginal scanner anyway, and I
              almost welcome the excuse to upgrade.

              Thanks.

              Katie Harper
              Ars Brevis Press
              Cincinnati, OH
              513-233-9588
              http://www.arsbrevispress.com
            • Bryan Hutcheson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 2003
                1. I have a folder where I keep most of my fonts, a large collection. Should
                I just drag that folder to Suitcase, and let it list all those fonts
                (deactivated of course) and let it auto activate as I need the fonts for
                various files? I have hesitated to do that before, but using the ADD FONT
                button to load one at a time is a pain.

                Definitely drag and drop the folders you want to add. I add entire libraries
                and then open only the fonts I would like to use.

                2. Short of adding the entire collection, can I add more than one at a time?

                Of course. Is your Adobe folder divided into folders for each font? That is
                the best way to organize fonts. It make sit easy to add fonts to suitcase
                or ATM

                3. Suitcase likes to Unexpectedly Quit when I try to use it in Classic. It
                works ok in the background, but if I try to add fonts, it goes bye bye.
                However, if I boot up in 9.2.2, it works fine. Any thoughts?

                Using Classic 9 inside of OSX seems to be convenient, but full of little
                surprises. If I am using Quark 5 I just reboot into 9.2. It eliminates a lot
                of headaches and runs much quicker than it does in OSX.

                Am also looking for scanner recommendations, as my Microtek X6 apparently
                won't work with 9.2.2 or 10.2.4. It's a marginal scanner anyway, and I
                almost welcome the excuse to upgrade.

                I just picked up the Epson 1660 Photo and it seems to be a good little
                scanner.

                Katie Harper
                Ars Brevis Press
                Cincinnati, OH
                513-233-9588
                http://www.arsbrevispress.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1706389
                862:HM/A=1481558/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_DIR/g22lp?
                Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
                PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                • Encountering problems? contact:
                PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                • To unsubscribe: