Re: [PPLetterpress] Laser cutting questions

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
      I don't know the details, but flexo printers use such a system for cutting
      relief plates in rubber. I just talked to one this past week who called for
      assistance with their Vandercook, as even though the plates are cut direct
      from a computer file, errors still creep in and it is far better to catch
      errors at the plate stage than to be on press, or print the job and then
      find the mistake.

      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
      970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
      nagraph@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
        Hi David

        When we had originally discussed this that was a suggestion of mine. I
        think it would work well for this purpose. But as others have mentioned
        it is quite expensive. There is one at an institution I work for and we
        are billed something like $80 per hour for usage (which is probably
        cheap?). And these don't exactly cut all that fast. I doubt you could
        invest in laser cutting equipment unless you were daddy warbucks or
        something. Prices are somewhat astronomical and they are high
        maintenance. There are signage shops and the like that use these and I
        suspect that jobbing the work out wouldn't hurt too much ($$$)?

        But given the costs I wouldn't think you'd want to create an entire font
        though it might work well as a way to replace missing characters that
        you just can't live without. Its really just a matter of getting the
        finished piece to type high. Laser cutters don't cut all that deep, or
        perhaps I should say it this way, the deeper the laser has to cut the
        slower it goes.

        We would do the outlines (which the laser follows) in Illustrator and
        those would be imported into Corel, which is the software that ran the
        lasers. I was thinking of making my door sign with this stuff but never
        got around to it.

        Gerald

        David Goodrich wrote:

        >The laser process doesn't seem like a practical alternative to photopolymer
        >for creating new text plates from computer files, but it sounds as if it
        >could be perfect for producing replicas of missing letters or additional
        >sorts for wood type fonts. Has anyone used it for this?
        >Are there shops where something like this could be jobbed out? I would not
        >want to invest in laser equipment to produce a handful of letters.
        >
        >David Goodrich
        >

        >>I seem to remember a discussion awhile back about some people who were
        >>experimenting with laser cutting as a way to get relief plates, as opposed
        >>to polymer. I'm wondering if a)it works for letterpress; b)it's at all cost

      • joefreedman
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 17, 2003
          Gerald,

          >it is quite expensive. There is one at an institution I work for and we
          >are billed something like $80 per hour for usage (which is probably

          Our rate is much cheaper but I'm not sure about sign guys in general.
          I think $75 to $80 is about right.

          >But given the costs I wouldn't think you'd want to create an entire font
          >though it might work well as a way to replace missing characters that

          You still need an outline. If the letter was completely missing you'd
          have to recreate it keeping the overall weight of the alphabet in
          mind. Once the outline is done you could make a vector cut very
          quickly (well under 3 minutes per letter) out of 1/4 inch maple.
          Perhaps this could be mounted to a block so its type high. If you
          were to raster the same letter it would take much longer--maybe 15 or
          20 minutes per letter.

          There are computer driven engraving machines that might do a better
          job. Roland makes one and some Sherline milling machines are also cad
          file driven.

          Joe
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17, 2003
            Joe

            If you are making this available as a service would you like me to
            place entries in the Links section and the Database?

            Like your website, and the free font Rant!!!