Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Need a new solvent ASAP!

Expand Messages
  • Gerald Lange
    Stan Not to belabor the point but Coleman s Lantern Fuel is to be found in an awful lot of US garages and basements. Many campers use it. And they rarely burn
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 14, 2011
    • 0 Attachment

      Not to belabor the point but Coleman's Lantern Fuel is to be found in an
      awful lot of US garages and basements. Many campers use it. And they
      rarely burn down forests. It is one of those products that does not hide
      what it is. And most folks tend to use it with appropriate caution.
      Unlike a lot of the solutions that are proffered to the printing
      industry, its properties, like mineral spirits, are understood.

      Also note that the discussion pertains to both plate/type wash and press
      wash. These are two different things. As Eric mentioned, very little
      plate wash is needed to clean a printing surface.


      On 8/14/11 7:27 PM, okintertype wrote:
      > The MSDS lists the flash point for Coleman's Lantern fuel as less than 0 F. That's a lot different than the 100 F you usually see for mineral spirits. People have done a lot of dangerous things and got away with it. That does not justify taking chances. As already mentioned, white gas is volatile and heavier than air. It will vaporize at most shop temperatures, and collect in low places. Any kind of spark will ignite it. It's much better to be safe, than to be making excuses after the shop has burned, or worse, the printer.
      > Stan
      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric"<Megalonyx@...> wrote:
      >> --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange"<Bieler@> wrote:
      >>> Thanks for the cautionary advice. It is quite clear that Coleman's Lantern Fuel is combustible, it is obviously supposed to be. So caution is observed. Safety cans, no open flames, no cigarettes.
      >> Quite right. Caution doesn't need to be fear. The half-teaspoon of white gas used to clean a plate is hardly enough vapor to worry about combustion. The only anecdotal explosion I know involved degreasing an engine with white gas, in a garage with a water heater.
      >> The only time I use enough white gas that vapors may be a problem is when soaking, cleaning and drying keyboard cams, and then windows and doors are opened for ventilation. A single magazine cleaning doesn't need nearly as much gas. If you clean multiple magazines, then, yeah, be careful.
      >> --Eric Holub, SF
    • matthew lamoureux
      Well you know how it goes with products imported from Chna. . . . ;)
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 20, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        Well you know how it goes with products imported from Chna. . . . ;)

        From: Gerald Lange <Bieler@...>;
        To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>;
        Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Need a new solvent ASAP!
        Sent: Sat, Aug 20, 2011 7:47:39 AM


        There seem to be a number of these off brand "green" solvents slipping past the censors. No ingredients listing, no MSDS supplied. Available in stores and on line. Very strange considering the strict regulations imposed on known manufacturers.


        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, sylvia chevrier <sylviachevrier@...> wrote:
        > Dan,
        > I checked on the bottle I have and there is no ingredient list. There
        > is an 800 number to call for "technical assistance". Early next week
        > when I have some free time I'm going to call, because now I'm
        > curious. I'll let you know if I find out anything worthwhile.
        > Whatever is in it, this product has really made clean up alot easier for me.
        > Sylvia
        > >
        > >I contacted Christine's Graphic Supplies to ask about Genie's Safe N
        > >Easy and obtain it's MSDS. Don't know what I was expecting since it
        > >claims to have no harsh toxins there was nothing listed on the sheet
        > >regarding "ingredients". I was just curious what it's made of. I was
        > >also told it's "super concentrated". Now like with California Wash,
        > >which some people use out of the can but is recommended to be mixed
        > >with water...why is that not a bad idea? Wouldn't I want to keep
        > >water-soluble solvents away from a press? Though I guess if applied
        > >carefully it only should touch the rollers...
        > >
        > >Dan Selzer
        > >
        > >

      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.