Re: Need a new solvent ASAP!

  • okintertype
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 12, 2011
      As a chemist and an employee of the petroleum industry for 30+ years, I can tell you that all of these terms are pretty broad. Their specs will vary somewhat from company to company. Naphtha is generally not close to white gas. One of the important items is the flash point, the temperature at which vapors will ignite if exposed to an ignition source. Mineral spirits generally runs in the 100 F range which means that it is fairly safe in most working environments. It will burn if exposed to a flame because that flame will raise its temperature above the flash point. These products are generally of low volatility which yields another safety factor, and enables them to remain on the surface being cleaned longer than faster solvents. Solvency of ink is, of course, important. Try a little of it and see if it meets your requirements. These solvents will disolve the natural oils from your skin and in some cases may caust dermititis. The severity depends upon each individuals susceptibility, and the degree of exposure. Don't take a bath in it. I've used it many years with no problem.

      Now for the waiver: I am not familiar with California regulations, and do not know what they may have forced manufacturers to change in these products. Otherwise, this applies in most of the rest of the world.

      Stan

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Dan Selzer <dan@...> wrote:

      > I've been going back to this post all summer wondering about this. I thought
      > "Oderless Mineral Spirts" was "Oderless Mineral Spirits" but maybe I'm
      > wrong! I had started out with Gamsol bought from Dick Blick and at some
      > point started using KleanStrip Odorless Mineral Spirits assuming it was the
      > same thing, just in less fancy packaging.
      >
      > Looking at the MSDS pdfs of various products I come across this. Gamsol is
      > 100% Naptha. Sunnyside is Synthetic Isoparafinic. California Wash is about
      > 80% Naptha and a few other things. KleanStrip is "Stoddard Solvent" (Mineral
      > spirits, Alphatic Petroleum Distillates, White Spirits).
      >
      > I don't know one from the other, but is the Klean-Strip the stuff at Home
      > Depot you recommend against? This stuff doesn't say anything about being
      > "non-combustible" or green. The local hardware store has Sunnyside so I can
      > try that, or maybe I should go back to Gamsol?
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Keetgi
      > >
      > > The odorless mineral spirits that were available at the major hardware
      > > chains, Home Depot, OSH, etc., were changed within the last year. I believe
      > > this was posted here. The new "non-combustible" formulas and the newer
      > > "green" versions are beyond worthless. Even the help guys at Home Depot will
      > > not recommend the latter.
      > >
      > > Basically go to your local hardware store to get this stuff. Sunnyside
      > > (sp?) is one that is still okay.
      > >
      > > This gets worse year by year because of the green mandate. No VOCs—but in
      > > regard to your physical health; here try this acetone or diesel fuel, or god
      > > knows what. . . See how that works out. If not we will pull it off the
      > > market. Which they do each and every year.
      > >
      > > Next year, like the last several years, because these "green" concoctions
      > > are not working, it will be something else.
      > >
      > > Gerald
      > > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      > >

      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "keetgi" <keetgi.kogan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi! I just came back from the dermatologist and apparently I am having an
      > > allergic reaction to the odourless mineral spirits I've been using to clean
      > > my press.
      > > >
      > > > Can anyone recommend a non-toxic solution that won't rust out my press
      > > (Vandercook sp20)?
      > > >
      > > > I would appreciate any help or advice.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Keetgi
      > > > keetgi.kogan@

    • matthew lamoureux
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 20, 2011
        Well you know how it goes with products imported from Chna. . . . ;)