Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Need a new solvent ASAP!

  • sylvia chevrier
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 12, 2011
      Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Need a new solvent ASAP!
      Hi,

      I usually use odorless mineral spirits myself but I just recently tried out a product called Genie Safe & Easy and think I'm going to be permanently switching to it. It cleans more thoroughly and faster than anything I've previously tried. I'm pretty impressed. I admit that I'm more interested in the efficiency than the health benefits but it also claims to be fairly non-toxic. It's available here if you want to check it out:

      >http://www.christinesgraphicsupplies.com/htm/genie_safe_and_easy.htm

      I've been going back to this post all summer wondering about this. I thought "Oderless Mineral Spirts" was "Oderless Mineral Spirits" but maybe I'm wrong! I had started out with Gamsol bought from Dick Blick and at some point started using KleanStrip Odorless Mineral Spirits assuming it was the same thing, just in less fancy packaging.

      Looking at the MSDS pdfs of various products I come across this. Gamsol is 100% Naptha. Sunnyside is Synthetic Isoparafinic. California Wash is about 80% Naptha and a few other things. KleanStrip is "Stoddard Solvent" (Mineral spirits, Alphatic Petroleum Distillates, White Spirits).

      I don't know one from the other, but is the Klean-Strip the stuff at Home Depot you recommend against? This stuff doesn't say anything about being "non-combustible" or green. The local hardware store has Sunnyside so I can try that, or maybe I should go back to Gamsol?

      Dan
      On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:
      Keetgi

      The odorless mineral spirits that were available at the major hardware chains, Home Depot, OSH, etc., were changed within the last year. I believe this was posted here. The new "non-combustible" formulas and the newer "green" versions are beyond worthless. Even the help guys at Home Depot will not recommend the latter.

      Basically go to your local hardware store to get this stuff. Sunnyside (sp?) is one that is still okay.

      This gets worse year by year because of the green mandate. No VOCs-but in regard to your physical health; here try this acetone or diesel fuel, or god knows what. . . See how that works out. If not we will pull it off the market. Which they do each and every year.

      Next year, like the last several years, because these "green" concoctions are not working, it will be something else.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "keetgi" <keetgi.kogan@...> wrote:

      > Hi! I just came back from the dermatologist and apparently I am having an allergic reaction to the odourless mineral spirits I've been using to clean my press.
      >
      > Can anyone recommend a non-toxic solution that won't rust out my press (Vandercook sp20)?
      >
      > I would appreciate any help or advice.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Keetgi
      > keetgi.kogan@...

    • matthew lamoureux
      Message 41 of 41 , Aug 20, 2011
        Well you know how it goes with products imported from Chna. . . . ;)