Re: [PPLetterpress] Need help -- convert font image to DXF in Illustrator

  • Eugene Marino III
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2011
      Hi Brandt,

      I have CorelDraw which is a vector-based drawing package. It permits export to .dxf  & also to .dwg I believe.
      If you'd like to forward your file or a test, I'd be happy to give it a try.

      Gene

      On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Brandt Kwiram <bkwiram@...> wrote:

      I have a single line of display text I have painstakingly letterspaced in Word. However the environment it needs to end up in is Solidworks, i.e. in either .DWG or .DXF format.

      As a metal & wood printer I don't have all the latest computer tools -- does anyone here know someone who would be willing for a reasonable fee to take a JPEG image of my text and convert it to vector art in DWG/DXF? I understand Illustrator can output these formats.

      All best,

      Brandt K.

      --
      Eugene Marino III
      11 Cedar Knolls Drive

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2011
        Try this to convert your word doc to PDF

        Nb I haven't used this service. However there are plenty of similar options to be found

        Btw I'd be surprised if word maintains proper letterspacing. It may, but it's not designed with subtlety in mind.

        If you don't want to license Adobes professional tools (why would you if you don't use them regularly!?) there's "Inkscape" which is a free open source application similar in scope to Adobe Illustrator.

        Here's som discussion about Inkscape vs Illustrator
        http://forumes.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1266725

        And here's Inkscape http://inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

        I use Illustrator, but then I need the features it offers.

        Ciao

        •=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=
        Peter Fraterdeus
        Slowprint.com
        Semiotx.com

        On Aug 11, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Dan Selzer <dan@...> wrote:

        On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Brandt Kwiram <bkwiram@...> wrote:

        I have a single line of display text I have painstakingly letterspaced in Word. However the environment it needs to end up in is Solidworks, i.e. in either .DWG or .DXF format.

        As a metal & wood printer I don't have all the latest computer tools -- does anyone here know someone who would be willing for a reasonable fee to take a JPEG image of my text and convert it to vector art in DWG/DXF? I understand Illustrator can output these formats.

        I would avoid JPEG. Try making a PDF or outputting a postscript file from the Word document. Then open that in illustrator and export to DWG.

        Dan

      • sea_speak
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2011
          hi folks -- thanks for the responses. Several list members emailed me and offered to do a conversion. Most appreciated!

          At this point, I think I have the problem solved (a list member did a very nice re-do of my file in Illustrator). Thanks again for the support.

          all best,

          Brandt