Sources for Germany

  • Mirka
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2011
      Hi, I have recently moved from Seattle area to South West Germany (between Saarbucken and Frankfurt). I was wondering if anyone would have any knowledge of printing or paper sources or other letterpress artists in the area? I speak a little bit of German but not too much, making it difficult to search through the internet.

      (You can reply to me off post)

      Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
      Mirka
    • Norman McKnight
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2011

        Mika: There is an online letterpress site http://www.bleisatzkontor.de/ but it is entirely in German & it doesn’t

        have an “English” option. The former owner, who passed away a year or so ago, was fluent in English. They

        sell Schriften (type) Mobilar (cabinets, furniture), Fachliteratur (printing books), & there is a Schriftenmuster (type list).

        They used to take PayPal & they were representatives for the now defunct Bauer Foundry in Barcelona & the

        still operating museum foundry Schriftenservice D. Stempel http://www.schriftenservice-d-stempel.de/ where

        they have a regular monthly offer called Angebot (offering) des Monats Oktober which is Claudius Fraktur by

        Rudolf Koch, something called Paganinni & Aldus Buchschrift (Aldus text). There is also a Swiss operation which

        acquired the Harold Berliner Type Foundry ( Nevada City CA ) & moved it to Switzerland ; they sell type & can

        be found in English & German at http://www.parnassia.org/english/index.html They have a good link page to

        some things in the area & Germany . I believe English is not much of an option with D. Stempel, but you could

        try. They have outstanding types perfectly cast. The Bleisatz (Blei: lead; Satz: setting) Kontor (shop) is in the

        vicinity of Ulm . The types offered by Bleisatz are all used & antiquarian. I have found some real treasures in

        their offerings.

        Norman McKnight

        Philoxenia Press

        Berkeley