Re: [PPLetterpress] Vandercook bearings.

  • Mike Dacey
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3 12:38 PM
      Interesting - the bearings on the SP20 are much bigger than skateboard bearings.

      Be warned that many skateboard bearings come with one side of the bearing exposed - they are meant to be used in pairs and the bearings are set into the wheels with the exposed sides facing each other, effectively sealed off from the elements. I would make sure that you're getting sealed bearings if using them on a press where both sides are exposed.
      -----

      Mike Dacey

      Repeat Press
      Custom Letterpress Printing

      9 Olive Square
      Somerville, MA 02143
      617.299.0918

      www.repeatpress.com
      www.facebook.com/repeatpress
      @repeatpress

      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM, <nohogallery@...> wrote:

      Its the ball bearing for the form rollers.  The skateboard ones are made for abuse and smooth rides and cost a lot less.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4 12:00 AM
        Vandercook obviously did not make all the parts for their presses in house. They out sourced. And so can you. I once wrote to them, the real Vandercook (yeah, imagine that—I mean the writing of a real letter) regarding the need for a broken pin. They were out of stock, price was $20, but they suggested I try my local hardware store. No local hardware store carried anything like this but I happened upon an industrial supply outlet that did. $20 the guy said, same thing Vandercook wanted. Difference was, he was talking about a box full of 20, Vandercook was talking about one item. Good ole Vandercook. God bless em. Still.

        So yeah, likely a lot of this stuff can be found round and about, and a great deal cheaper, if you can figure out how to get it. Lot easier today than previously.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dacey <dace@...> wrote:

        > Interesting - the bearings on the SP20 are much bigger than skateboard
        > bearings.
        >
        > Be warned that many skateboard bearings come with one side of the bearing
        > exposed - they are meant to be used in pairs and the bearings are set into
        > the wheels with the exposed sides facing each other, effectively sealed off
        > from the elements. I would make sure that you're getting sealed bearings if
        > using them on a press where both sides are exposed.
        > -----
        >
        > Mike Dacey
        >
        > Repeat Press
        > Custom Letterpress Printing
        >
        > 9 Olive Square
        > Somerville, MA 02143
        > 617.299.0918
        >
        > www.repeatpress.com
        > www.facebook.com/repeatpress
        > @repeatpress <http://www.twitter.com/repeatpress>
        >

        > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM, <nohogallery@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Its the ball bearing for the form rollers. The skateboard ones are made
        > > for abuse and smooth rides and cost a lot less.

      • Mike Dacey
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4 8:21 AM
          Definitely true - I now have a lifetime supply of rider roller bolts for a 10x15 windmill -  I found them by the dozen on McMaster-Carr after talking to someone who wanted $40 for a pair of OEM bolts.
          -----