Re: [PPLetterpress] Vandercook bearings.

  • nohogallery@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
      Its the ball bearing for the form rollers.  The skateboard ones are made for abuse and smooth rides and cost a lot less.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2011
        Interesting - the bearings on the SP20 are much bigger than skateboard bearings.

        Be warned that many skateboard bearings come with one side of the bearing exposed - they are meant to be used in pairs and the bearings are set into the wheels with the exposed sides facing each other, effectively sealed off from the elements. I would make sure that you're getting sealed bearings if using them on a press where both sides are exposed.
        -----

        Mike Dacey

        Repeat Press
        Custom Letterpress Printing

        9 Olive Square
        Somerville, MA 02143
        617.299.0918

        www.repeatpress.com
        www.facebook.com/repeatpress
        @repeatpress

        ___________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
          Vandercook obviously did not make all the parts for their presses in house. They out sourced. And so can you. I once wrote to them, the real Vandercook (yeah, imagine that—I mean the writing of a real letter) regarding the need for a broken pin. They were out of stock, price was $20, but they suggested I try my local hardware store. No local hardware store carried anything like this but I happened upon an industrial supply outlet that did. $20 the guy said, same thing Vandercook wanted. Difference was, he was talking about a box full of 20, Vandercook was talking about one item. Good ole Vandercook. God bless em. Still.

          So yeah, likely a lot of this stuff can be found round and about, and a great deal cheaper, if you can figure out how to get it. Lot easier today than previously.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Mike Dacey <dace@...> wrote:

          > Interesting - the bearings on the SP20 are much bigger than skateboard
          > bearings.
          >
          > Be warned that many skateboard bearings come with one side of the bearing
          > exposed - they are meant to be used in pairs and the bearings are set into
          > the wheels with the exposed sides facing each other, effectively sealed off
          > from the elements. I would make sure that you're getting sealed bearings if
          > using them on a press where both sides are exposed.
          > -----
          >
          > Mike Dacey
          >
          > Repeat Press
          > Custom Letterpress Printing
          >
          > 9 Olive Square
          > Somerville, MA 02143
          > 617.299.0918
          >
          > www.repeatpress.com
          > www.facebook.com/repeatpress
          > @repeatpress <http://www.twitter.com/repeatpress>
          >

          > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM, <nohogallery@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Its the ball bearing for the form rollers. The skateboard ones are made
          > > for abuse and smooth rides and cost a lot less.

        • Mike Dacey
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2011
            Definitely true - I now have a lifetime supply of rider roller bolts for a 10x15 windmill -  I found them by the dozen on McMaster-Carr after talking to someone who wanted $40 for a pair of OEM bolts.
            -----